Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Other Home Owners

Cool To Other Home Owners

This is my first time on this forum and it is exciting to be able to connect with others who own a second home in Aruba. In the past two months we have been having issues with HUGE water usage and no one is using the house. Yes we have checked for leaks in the past and there is none. We can't turn off the water at the street as we need to run the sprinkler system while away. We are usually not cynical folks but honestly at this point the only thing we can think of is that someone is stealing the water from the outside taps. We don't have neighbours on one side of the house. Has anyone else every had or heard of this as an issue? i know it can be an issue in countries where water is a commodaty.

Is your water usage less when you are in Aruba?

As we have no landscaping, I lock our water off at the meter. Is it possible for you to lock off the water with the exception of your sprinkler system?
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

the water usage is less when we are there. It has been a bit of an ongoing battle, now this month we are way down as we have had our property manager checking the meter every week. I don't think it is him taking the water but maybe the gardners and now that they know we are checking they have stopped, or a neighbour. We are going to meet with Elmar when we are there in June so really go over things. AND we will be locking up all the taps that aren't being used by the sprinkler system. It may be one of those never answered mysteries that will go away without an answer.

If the water use is less when you are there, then someone is tapping the line. Best thing to do is change the landscaping so it doesn't need water and lock out the line from the meter. When I'm not on island, I lock out my meter so that there can be no major leaks or god forbid stealing.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Hopefully, this is not a dumb question

How does one lock out the Line/meter??

Aquaman

I'm not sure where to buy them. I made mine out of some stainless steel.
    Tom & Karen

To lock out your water line, check the WEMA and other hardware stores. The sell a valve that has a set up to pass a lock through two pieces of flat bar so that it can not be turned to the open position.

I made a box to go over the valve and the box has a hasp and lock set up.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

You mentioned Elmer - are you by chance in Tierra del sol?

Thumbs up Update

We just got back from our house in Aruba. My husband now has his ticket in plumbing assistant. Long story short we found that our hot water pipe was leaking. So they replaced it. I guess the leak was just getting worse over time and the fact that the ground is sandy the large amount of water that was leaking was just being absorbed. The plumber said that the water pressure in our neighbourhood is quite high which could contribute to the problem. A neighbour said he had a similar issue. The plumber did say however that there are cases of water being stolen so we do still get to use the very fancy tap locks we purchased.

Glad to see you found the problem.
    Tom & Karen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast