Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Servicing/Repair Advice Needed

Pool Servicing/Repair Advice Needed

Just got a quote of $400 to simply replace the sand in my Pool filter. I am no kind of pool expert but this seems a bit steep to say the least !!

Anyone know if this is reasonable ? Also if anyone also knows any reputable and RELIABLE Pool companies that do not charge the earth for pool maintainance and repairs could you let me know.

Many thanks..

Aruba since 1979
    if you are on island and have an hr, that is all it takes.
    disconnect your high rate sand filter from the pump and plumbing.
    shovel out 75% of the sand media.

do not move the laterals at the bottom of the filter!

add X amount of new sand media, reconnect and you are good to go.
    do you know how many pounds of sand it takes?

honestly if i were there i would do it for you.

i ran a commercial pool in MA for many years and the pool had its new filter system in place in april 1984 and had new filter media sand then, then the next sand change was in 1999 and no change since then.

if u backwash frequently that sand can go for a LONG time.

the key is to backwash even if you really do not need to.
    do not let the pressure build too high.
    do a good flush as well.
    run a cl9osed circuit for a few minutes and then open to a full filtration.

pm me for any questions.
    andrea

ps in waltham ma, for a residential swim pool maintenance call such as what you need is about $200 plus materials (sand media).

Quote Originally Posted by elephant_guy View Post
    Just got a quote of $400 to simply replace the sand in my Pool filter. I am no kind of pool expert but this seems a bit steep to say the least !!

Anyone know if this is reasonable ? Also if anyone also knows any reputable and RELIABLE Pool companies that do not charge the earth for pool maintainance and repairs could you let me know.

Many thanks..

Aruba since 1979
    also too
    contact the facilities manager of a resort on aruba.
    "maybe" one of their pool maintenance employees is interested in picking up a few extra bux moonlighting.

i did it all the time in my old neighborhood/community with backyard/rresidential pools and hot tubs.
    andrea

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a simple manual on pool maintenance that can be done by pool owners. I mean the simple stuff, not the complex. Also, Elephant_guy, you may want to contact Juan Battista from Arubian Gardens at 592 4387. Juan owns a pool himself and has an excellent person that maintains it for him

I replied to the PM of the good pool company that I have recommended to others (aquaman among one of them) who have great service.

I also gave him the name of a pool maintence guy to call if the construction company doesn't handle it.

Anyone want a kitten? Have one left that we really need to get a home for!!
    She is really cute and we really need to get her a home asap.

Thanks
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    I am wondering if anyone can recommend a simple manual on pool maintenance that can be done by pool owners.
    I would simply Google the subject....lots of info out there. The most challenging thing about pool ownership is proper winterization....not much of an issue in Aruba!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    if you are on island and have an hr, that is all it takes.
    disconnect your high rate sand filter from the pump and plumbing.
    shovel out 75% of the sand media.

do not move the laterals at the bottom of the filter!
    Agree with Andrea...it can easily be a do-it-yourself project.

Suggest you look up the filter on-line for a parts diagram to get familiar with the internal parts. You don't want to break any internal collection/distribution piping. Scoop carefully versus shovel.

Make sure you put the right amount of sand back in....you certainly would have had some loss over time.

Handle gaskets carefully, don'y bake in the sun. Lubricate with water, nothing else. Make sure gaskets and grooves are clean or they'll leak. If you pull on them, they will stretch and won't fit properly when you try and reinsert.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Are you sure you need to replace the sand?

You should get 15 years out of it...

Definitely backwash like was mentioned earlier.... 2-3 minutes at least with another 1 minute on rinse.

I'm no expert.. I've just had a pool in every house I've owned and maintained it myself.

Hiring out pool maintenance is expensive everywhere you go... I don't see how it would be that hard to maintain on the island as most pools are small.

Thanks to all for your replies. I will call some off the people whose details you have all been kind enough to PM me, particularly Lizzardo.

MJM1204 - Pool company maintains that the sand should be completely changed every 4 years....

Unfortunately I am not on the island much and I sometimes do get the depressing feeling that the pool companies do try to ramp up the prices and the amount of work required here sometimes. I also have limited pool knowledge (Not many outside pools here in the U.K. !!)

I will get a few more quotes and see how the quotes (and the alleged problem) vary !!

Thanks again to all

Actually getting "service" related jobs are much cheaper here than in the US. For example everyone has a housekeeper because it's so cheap. Our pool guy
    is really reasonable and does all the maint. and is well worth it.

If you get "word of mouth" referals and mention a name - we tend to find
    lower quotes than just calling them from the phone book or not mentioning
    someones name.

Being off island is very hard - they tend to put off any work until you arrive to do other jobs where they know they're watched. Have heard way to many stories about that!!! Even stories about people on island - leaving their house coming back because they forgot something - only to find that everyone has taken off the minute they left. It has even happened to us - we only knew because there is always someone in our house - and we watched them do it!!! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast