Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pool Servicing/Repair Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by elephant_guy View Post
    Thanks to all for your replies. I will call some off the people whose details you have all been kind enough to PM me, particularly Lizzardo.

MJM1204 - Pool company maintains that the sand should be completely changed every 4 years....

Unfortunately I am not on the island much and I sometimes do get the depressing feeling that the pool companies do try to ramp up the prices and the amount of work required here sometimes. I also have limited pool knowledge (Not many outside pools here in the U.K. !!)

I will get a few more quotes and see how the quotes (and the alleged problem) vary !!

Thanks again to all
    Your sand doesn't need to be changed every 4 years unless you have dirt remaining in your pool even after you vacuum and it's filtered through.

Are you spending more in chemicals now than you used to? Are you having a hard time keeping your pool balanced? How long do you run your filter throughout the day?

The house is currently rented and I'm not sure how high the chemical usage is or how long the filter is run during the day. The tenants are leaving shortly and I will probably come over for a month or so to try to sort things out.

My pool knowledge is at quite a very low level and the pool company and tenants have been dealing with the pool up until recently. Think I am going to need to get a book on pool maintanance !! Is there a recommended level of chemical usage or period that the filter/pump should be utilised per day/week ?

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.nspf.org/
    i recommend this link.
    the nspf has a book that goes thru ALL aspects.

i will do some research for you re: chemical usage and filtration runs.
    i am almost certain that your filter should be running a minimum of 20 of 24 hrs daily. the commercial pool that i managed ran 24/7.
    chemicals...........are you using stabilized chlorine? or how are u disinfecting?
    let me do some reading of my manual and wil get back to you.

if you can, check out the link that i posted.
    also too go to google and read about
    • "pool water balance"
    • pool water disinfecting-chlorine, salt
    • importance of maintaining ph in swimming pools
    • total alkalinity in swimming pools
    andrea

The house is currently rented and I'm not sure how high the chemical usage is or how long the filter is run during the day. The tenants are leaving shortly and I will probably come over for a month or so to try to sort things out.

My pool knowledge is at quite a very low level and the pool company and tenants have been dealing with the pool up until recently. Think I am going to need to get a book on pool maintanance !! Is there a recommended level of chemical usage or period that the filter/pump should be utilised per day/week ?

Commercial pool filters run 24/7 not residential... residential filters (that are working properly) should be run 8-10 hours daily... i would run it during the hottest part of the day..

You should backwash and rinse weekly...

Chemical usage depends on way too many factors to have a set amount... I HIGHLY recommend getting a salt chlorinator... it will save you so much money in the long run.. it also makes the water more clear and better on the eyes... they're about $1500 installed in the states...

If you were spending $200 a month in chemicals last year but now it's running $300... something is wrong.. doesn't necessarily mean the sand either... it could be your pump.. leaky seal... clogged filters... improper balancing...

I have an idea... kick everyone out of your house and let me stay in it... you can fire all your maintenance/cleaning staff and I'll do it!

thought it was worth a try..

Quote Originally Posted by mjm1204 View Post
    Commercial pool filters run 24/7 not residential... residential filters (that are working properly) should be run 8-10 hours daily... i would run it during the hottest part of the day..

You should backwash and rinse weekly...

Chemical usage depends on way too many factors to have a set amount... I HIGHLY recommend getting a salt chlorinator... it will save you so much money in the long run.. it also makes the water more clear and better on the eyes... they're about $1500 installed in the states...

If you were spending $200 a month in chemicals last year but now it's running $300... something is wrong.. doesn't necessarily mean the sand either... it could be your pump.. leaky seal... clogged filters... improper balancing...
    Agree with everything said here. Would add that running a residential filter 10 hours daily is better than running it longer, but not every day. This, too, helps manage chemical use.

Algecide, used in conjunction with chlorine, helps too.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

So much great advice and information. Thank you all so much.

I have had little time to stay at the property and can see that I will need to improve my knowledge of pool maintanance for when I hope to spend more time in Aruba in a few years time.

What a great forum this is. Thanks again to you all for posting replies and PM'ing me.

Aruba since 1979
    you are most welcome

all of us here on the forum are aimijng to please

good luck w/ the pool

andrea

So much great advice and information. Thank you all so much.

I have had little time to stay at the property and can see that I will need to improve my knowledge of pool maintanance for when I hope to spend more time in Aruba in a few years time.

What a great forum this is. Thanks again to you all for posting replies and PM'ing me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12