Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By aquaman

Thread: property management questions

property management questions

When you get a property manger to help you when renting out your house, finding clients, taking money etc, what percentage of your rental money do they take? And if you long term rent, say you get $2,000 per month, what will you have to pay out of that? Won't the renter have to pay his/her own bills?

Aruba since 1979
    every property manager could be different on the percentage they charge.
    re: the bills that the tenant has to pay................it is all up to the agreement between landlord and tenant.
    ex: electricity is very high. most landlords would require the tenant to pick up that cost, water too .
    setar and internet would probably be the responsibility of the tenant.

maybe someone with longterm rental (landlords or tenants) will post their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by garyiryna View Post
    When you get a property manger to help you when renting out your house, finding clients, taking money etc, what percentage of your rental money do they take? And if you long term rent, say you get $2,000 per month, what will you have to pay out of that? Won't the renter have to pay his/her own bills?

I own and rent and have done long term and vacation. I had interviewed several property/rental management companies. They all seemed to average around 20% of the rent. That figure covers basic looking after the property but does not cover repair costs. It also includes the advertising of the property on their websites,(excluding VRBO and other major vacation websites), greeting and settling in guests, providing advice on local things such as restaurants, arranging car rentals, places to see etc. The fee also includes obtaining trades people for repairs, contacting contractors for larger jobs and arranging quotes etc. The property manager also looks after collection of payment and the payment and remittance of local tax.

On the issue of water and electricity, these are the responsibility of the tenant. For long term rentals we were strongly cautioned to put the services in the name of the renter. In our rent we include cable TV, Internet, Garbage collection, Propane gas. Unfortunately, no matter how much we or our property managers advise renters to be careful in the use of water and electricity this is an area where people often over use. We allocate a normal usage amount and include this in the rent. I feel that many just do not realise just how expensive Water and Electricity are in Aruba. We recently had renters who ran our 4 split airconditioners night and day windows open. Our property manager advised them against this on a visit to our villa when checking all was ok. At the end of 10 days their combined water and electricity bill was $800!!!! Needless to say they were shocked and not happy!!!!

If anyone wants more details on property managers or in selecting 1, feel free to PM me

Aquaman
    Last edited by aquaman; 10-03-2010 at 12:21 PM.

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!

Property Managers/Rental Agents

Aquaman and I both use the same property managers/rental agents. They are excellent. I believe Retagger who also posts on the board also uses them. They double as PMs and Rental Agents. They take 20% off rental and the PM fee is based on frequency of visits.

In the past I have paid anywhere from 15% to 20% I have since created a web site, so I rent it out myself.

Post What a scam

Quote Originally Posted by Tim nel View Post
    In the past I have paid anywhere from 15% to 20% I have since created a web site, so I rent it out myself.
    I am looking for a person to take care of our house when I'm not on the island. I am currently hiring a couple (man/women) to do the job, but they are starting to get lazy and are trying to overcharge us for any kind of services.

Does anybody have a reference that I can call and that will not charge 20% plus a monthly fee ?? I can't believe we have to pay 10 000 $ per year when the locals are paid less then 10 $/hour... I need someone who can take care of renters, cleaning, gardening and servicing the pool.

Thanks.

Aruba since 1979
    you may want to create a new thread re: finding a person to care for your house.
    this thread that you posted to is 3 yrs old.

thank you for your first aruba.com community forum posting
    Quote Originally Posted by volleyzzz View Post
    I am looking for a person to take care of our house when I'm not on the island. I am currently hiring a couple (man/women) to do the job, but they are starting to get lazy and are trying to overcharge us for any kind of services.

Does anybody have a reference that I can call and that will not charge 20% plus a monthly fee ?? I can't believe we have to pay 10 000 $ per year when the locals are paid less then 10 $/hour... I need someone who can take care of renters, cleaning, gardening and servicing the pool.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by volleyzzz View Post

Thanks.
    $10,000.00 a year??? What on earth does this include?? Are you including rental commissions in that amount? Having had experiences with several PM's on the Island I would be happy to discuss if you wish to PM me

The only thing I can share is I went thru a real estate agent to for rental fee, screening tenants and getting a legal lease. Everything she did was wrong because it seems like she was just looking for her commission (1 month). A property manager is a must because you can not manage your house from abroad. You need someone to check what is happening in the house and if there is theft. It might seem a lot but you need a good one - could save you in the long run.