Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Property Taxes

Well at least you got it before the due date! Sometimes the mail is so slow here you get things really late!

Question on Prop Tax Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Norman Paperman View Post
    Received my property tax bill today. Looks like it is due by the 30th of the month.
    We are looking to you experts who have owned homes in Aruba for some time. We are in the process of building at Gold Coast and just received on Friday what we believe to be our tax bill (from SIA). Since it is written in Dutch and is in Florins we're not certain what we owe, when it's due, and where to send the payment!!

Any help you folks can give would be greatly appreciated!

For most of my dutch documents - I will type it in either google translate or babel fish. That way I can get an idea about what it's about.

If you need to convert AFL to USD - I use this website

http://coinmill.com/AWG_USD.html#AWG=17.95

I can never get the right amount w/ my calculator. I think you are supposed
    to divide by 1.75 - 1 USD = 1.75AFL

Thanks, Liz. That's helpful and I will try that out. I also was wondering what Aruba homeowners think is the best way to make the payment from the U.S. - by wire transfer or mailing a check.

This is all new to us and we would like to know what you folks think is the best way to handle this. In the meantime I will try to translate from babel fish.

Thanks for your help!

When is your next trip to Aruba? We pay our taxes on our Sept. trip. Have done this the last 3 years with no problem, at least so far.

Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    Thanks, Liz. That's helpful and I will try that out. I also was wondering what Aruba homeowners think is the best way to make the payment from the U.S. - by wire transfer or mailing a check.

This is all new to us and we would like to know what you folks think is the best way to handle this. In the meantime I will try to translate from babel fish.

Thanks for your help!
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Karen View Post
    When is your next trip to Aruba? We pay our taxes on our Sept. trip. Have done this the last 3 years with no problem, at least so far.
    We're not sure yet when we will be traveling to Aruba again. We will have to do a walk-through of our place before we pay our last installment, but at this point, we're not certain when that will be. Whenever that is will be our next trip.

We will have to try and translate part of the document to see just when the payment is due - it would be great if we could time our trip with the due date so we could pay it while we are there!

Thanks for your input - maybe it will work out for us to be able to pay it when we go!

Let me try to help with the tax bill the littlle that I can understand.

I to have let the bill wait till Sept. When I had my daughter pay it for me with uout any penalties.
    I tried to pay through the Aruba bank last year with no success. My fault about all I know on a computer is AOL.com
    Hench that is why my daughter paid the bill.

Dagtekening==Date
    Tijdvak ==== Period

In the 1st box.
    Heffingsgrondslag ==== Tax Base
    2nd box.
    Bedrag van de belasting ==== Amount of tax.
    If you look at the bottom of the front sheet it gives you the BAnk Account # for the various banks in Aruba.

Back page
    Specificate Waarde onroerend Goed == Specification value of immovable property.

In the code box you should have a cope P or O
    P-Perceel or PLot
    o Opstal I could not get a translation. But assume it must be for a home or residence.

If your home is not complete yet I would guess thiss is a P for Plot.
    Of course there is more to be translated but thiss is what I use for the basics.
    Let the Carnival Begin
    Mr Norman Paperman

Under the heading of Betaling
    The best translation I have for this
    You can pay in 4 equal Terminisen. Each period expires on the last day each trimester therefore march 31 30 juni, 30 sept. and dec.31
    a period which expires within 1 month after date of this attack and already expired periods, must pay you within 1 month after date
    Let the Carnival Begin
    Mr Norman Paperman

Thanks so much! This is very helpful! I see the two banks at the bottom of the bill, so I would assume that payment could be made to either bank?

We will hold off a bit to see if we can schedule our next trip within the next month or two so we can pay it in person. If not, we will wire transfer to one of the banks at the bottom of the invoice.

Thank you so much for your help!

I am assuming that your checks are from the US? I know if I put a US check in our bank - takes approx 6 weeks to clear. Yes I know that is insane. If you paid w/ a US check - the bank could hold your check and then after a period of time pay
    your bill. The banks will not give you a date the check will clear. if you put
    a US check in your account it shows that amount as "ready" but it is not.

The Aruba banks are either 1> the kings of "floating money" 2> really
    not efficient at all. They are quicker w/ a wire transfer that should be
    instant but will take a few days "in limbo" before it shows up in your
    account.

I also love how if you do bring in a US check - if it's it's not made out to your exact legal name - no good. About 4 people will look at that check, the clerk and people behind the desks.

Ok enough about banking here -

Do a wire transfer! LOL!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast