Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about Vaccinations/Residency

Question Question about Vaccinations/Residency

Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum and have found great information here. I will only be visiting Aruba for the initial future but that may change one day. Everything seems to be pretty straightforward for the most part. However, there is one requirement for moving to Aruba where I am completely lost. How does one get a smallpox vaccination when they aren't vaccinating people anymore? I can't speak for all countries but the vaccine is not available to the general public in the U.S. Forgive me if this question has been answered but I looked and can't seem to find the answer in this forum or on Google.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum
    http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/index.asp

check out the link above.

also too maybe some aruba residents will advise.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfuego View Post
    Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum and have found great information here. I will only be visiting Aruba for the initial future but that may change one day. Everything seems to be pretty straightforward for the most part. However, there is one requirement for moving to Aruba where I am completely lost. How does one get a smallpox vaccination when they aren't vaccinating people anymore? I can't speak for all countries but the vaccine is not available to the general public in the U.S. Forgive me if this question has been answered but I looked and can't seem to find the answer in this forum or on Google.

Thanks for the quick reply Andrea but the CDC site only reinforces the fact that the vaccine is no longer offered to the public. It's primarily reserved for doctors, nurses and sometimes military. Public vaccinations stopped back in 1972. The last case of smallpox in the U.S. was 1949 which makes me wonder why Aruba or any other country would require vaccination for a disease that hasn't been seen in over 60 years. I would hope that someone has an answer since some people have successfully relocated to Aruba. Since Aruba requires the vaccination, does anyone know if they offer it?

Aruba since 1979
    check with your local board of health.
    our son spent numerous months in foreign countries (some 3rd world) and we got guidance from the local dept in our town.

i think you are putting the cart way ahead of the horse though.
    check with the dept of immigration on aruba when you are there for your visit.

Well, I'm certainly not in in any hurry and was only looking for information. There are no concrete plans as I will be a visitor for the foreseeable future. I am however very surprised that no one else responded with any answers. I'm starting to get the impression that permanent residency in Aruba is more of a goal very few people outside of the Netherlands have achieved. Thanks again Andrea for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    check with your local board of health.
    our son spent numerous months in foreign countries (some 3rd world) and we got guidance from the local dept in our town.

i think you are putting the cart way ahead of the horse though.
    check with the dept of immigration on aruba when you are there for your visit.

Aruba since 1979
    we have a few members (americans) that are now pretty much year round residents.
    i had hoped they would have responded.

don't give up on this thread, some may reply.
    going to rename it to Question about Vaccinations/Residency.
    it might catch someone's eye?

You do not need a smallpox vaccination! I have gone through the process and that is not a requirement.

I have been a resident for more than 7 years. I don't remember needing a smallpox vaccination. I do remember that I needed an hiv and turbucleosis test for the first permit. When I get back to Aruba next week, I can check the paper work from the first permit.

Kathy

Aruba since 1979
    thanks kathy
    hope your stay in the north country is fun!

Small pox

I am a resident of Aruba for the past 15 years,I am from Michigan and married a local and had three kids born in USA and never have any of them who are teens now ever had a small pox vaccine.
    Thats like me coming to Michigan and I thought my child had dengue and the hospital never heard of it. I explained till I was blue in the face and finally after checking everything out they heard from CDC that the blood test is not offered in USA. I guess many rules apply depending on where you live.
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast