Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jerseygirl
  • 1 Post By Schnauzerjoy

Thread: Recommendation for Property Managers

Banned

Recommendation for Property Managers

I am looking for first-hand recommendations for a property manager. We're purchasing a home on the island, and I need a RELIABLE-HONEST-&TRUSTWORTHY person/company. (I've heard some horror stories). We are not renting this property out, so I just need someone to care for the property when we are not there, get property ready for visitors, etc.

All advise good and bad is much appreciated.

Aruba since 1979
    there are a few people that you should send messages to and ask
    Lizzardo
    Tom and Stanley
    Mark68
    schnauzerjoy
    san nic
    cheryl

and i am skipping folks?
    these folks may be able to share the names of who they use as a property manager (if they do use a manager)
    good luck and please post how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    I am looking for first-hand recommendations for a property manager. We're purchasing a home on the island, and I need a RELIABLE-HONEST-&TRUSTWORTHY person/company. (I've heard some horror stories). We are not renting this property out, so I just need someone to care for the property when we are not there, get property ready for visitors, etc.

All advise good and bad is much appreciated.
    I would contact Aruba Happy Rentals:
    http://arubahappyrentals.com/listings/index.php

As a renter, we used them for a villa rental over New Years Eve and LOVED them! We also know several owners of villas who use them to manage their property for both rental and non-rental management. Everyone has been very pleased with their services. Contact Albert at Aruba Happy Rentals - great guy/company to work with!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Thumbs up

Around 2/3 of the foreign owners that I know have Property Managers (PM). Around 100% of them are not happy with their PM. The 1/3 that does not have have any (like myself) almost 100% used to have a PM, but after a while decided that it was not worth it for them.
    The reasons to why people in general are not satisfied with their PM are very different. I would say that in general, if you are planning to rent, you need a PM, if you just use the house for yourself and friends then you don't.
    We solved it by putting up some cameras to keep an eye on everything, when we are not there. A local bank account, with Internet Banking (Arubabank) to handle all local payments. The phone/cabletv company (Setar), the water company (WEB), the Electrical company (ELMAR), the gas company (Arugas) and others give you the option to get all of your bills electronically and a login to follow your usage and payments, which make it pretty easy to handle from anywhere. The few things where it cannot be done online, I go and do it when I am there. I.e. The alarm company, pool company, insurrance company etc. often give a good discount (i.e. 10%) if you pay for a year at the time.
    Unless you have a crazy demanding garden, an automatic irrigation system will do the most important thing for you and you can clean up a bit when you are there yourself. (Disclosure : We do have a gardener, but are considering if we really need it). If you go without a PM, it is a very good idea to have friends who live on the Island permanently, but unless you never leave your house, you will have a hard time being on Aruba without making friends .
    So bottom line, if you are not going to rent it out, consider if you need a PM.
    If you are going to rent it out, I would look more at who seems to have the best marketing (website etc) to get you bookings, since they will also have the best financial incentive to take good care of everything.
    I am a bit puzzled that none of the PM companies are known for doing a really great job, but at the same time I understand that it is hard to please everyone.
    I do think that their higher financial incentive to focus on the properties that they also rent out is one reason, but even people who rent out is normally not happy with their PM.
    In general, I would say, make sure to not go into too long of a contract with whoever you use. Try them out, but have an option to change if you are not happy. Don't do a 1 or 2 year commitment if you can avoid it, until you know that they work well for your money.
    I don't know who your Realtor is, but when we bought, Miriam Engeln from Century21 helped us with all these things, even after we bought, so I hope you have a someone like that, since they hear all the good and bad about PMs, gardeners, pool companies etc. etc. (Otherwise just keep asking here ;-) ).

Good luck with your new property.

Carsten

P.S. I have not used Albert from Aruba Happy Rentals, but have heard good stuff about him and nothing bad so far (but don't know how his marketing is if you want to rent).
    Last edited by Schnauzerjoy; 02-05-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    carsten
    THANKS so very much for your opinions.

andrea james

When we initially purchased, we attempted to get by without a property manager. Friends on the Island had offered their services. We rent out and used a Realtor to handle renting. We soon found out that our friends were unable to keep the property up and the Realtor was calling with concerns. After interviewing several property management companies , large (by Aruba standards) and small, and after speaking with associates and friends, along with the Aruba Chamber of Commerce, we settled on Mr Albert Mostert of Aruba Happy Rentals. We are now into our 3rd year. Albert has had to represent us in dealing with government, project monitoring and management of swimming pool and deck construction, dealing with security company when alarms activate etc. Albert also handles financial matters such as utility billing payments. He has also dealt with the water company to resolve an issue with the water meter that we could never have dealt with. He has had minor repairs undertaken. I can personally vouch for Albert and his staff

Aquaman
    Last edited by aquaman; 02-05-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks aquaman!!

drop me a note when you can and let me know how things are going.

appreciate your help with this thread........you and carsten thanks!

Banned
    Thanks so much Amy, Schnauzerjoy & aquaman.

This is exactly the info that I was asking for! We have a flight early tomorrow to the island, and now I have a direction!

Sunny regards!

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!
    Jersey Girl, I just responded to your PM this morning. Sorry my response was late but I was in China and just got back last night. Like Amy and Aquaman, I also recommend Albert from Aruba Happy Rentals. He owns the company, is very detail oriented, handles all my issues and also rents my place out. His staff is fantastic, he has several rental & property manageners on staff as well as maids, gerdeners, handymen...etc. Albeit, I use my own handyman and gardener. They also have a marketing manager on staff who rolled out "Concierge Services" for our guests. They can arrange anything from a jeep tour to in-house massages to a chef to cook for a private party of 12. Most important, I've had nothing but rave reviews from our guests regarding their responsiveness and the manner in which they've been treated. Amy experienced it first-hand as our guest in Dec.

Palm Beach Plaza, Ruinas del Mar Restaurant, Pata Pata Pool Bar at La Cabana, My Cozy Home, and so much more!
    I would recomend Coastal Ridge Realty in Palm Beach, they are a very good and thrustworthly company, they does Property M. here and abroad too. www.realestateinaruba.com
    For the Best Babysitting on the Island.
    http://tbcaruba.com
    Looking to Buy, Rent, Sell a House, Land? Need Property Managment on Aruba?
    http://realestateinaruba.com