Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Retirement in Aruba

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to your first posting doc

the post you are quoting is over 5 years old..
    maybe things have changed with the residency permit applicayion process.

do they even vaccinate for smallpox anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfltdoc View Post
    As a physician, I find it rather fascinating that it states below one must have a recent smallpox vaccination, given that smallpox was declared eradicated by the World Health Organization in 1980. This day and age one would be very hard-pressed to even find somewhere to get such a vaccination.

http://aruba-daily.com/newspaper/aru...nd-fun-living/

Cute article on why to move to Aruba from Miriam
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

All I would say is to try out the island for a few months to see if you like living which is different from vacationing here. I would also get information about taxes and how they work as well as what you would need to do if you want to live here year long. I would be cautious about any house - many people find out that when it rains there are problems with run off. I would contact a lawyer about how the laws are since they do change quite a lot for residency.

Learn about the "culture" which is really different than the US. Get used to people talking in one of the four different languages around you.
    See how much your water and electricity bill runs for the property you are interested because that can be costly. Do your home work
    check out everything you are told because sometimes if you ask the same question to many people you will get many answers.

Talk to people on the boards about the real estate company you are dealing with and ask for them to tell you how they did and
    think about them.

My main point is make sure you know exactly what it is like in Aruba from residency to AZV to SIA.

No, I don't know any place that vaccinates for smallpox anymore, except perhaps for BioSafety Level 3 labs such as at the CDC or maybe Russia (?) to protect from occupational exposure.

Colorado Point and my hometown, Lago Colony.
    What is the process for an American, born in Aruba, in Lago Hospital, grew up in the old Lago Colony, cradle to college, and who had a Dutch father who worked from Lago, to obtain residency permit to retire to Aruba?

Aruba since 1979
    you would have to contact the DIMAS for that answer.
    do you have dual citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by jsusanne View Post
    What is the process for an American, born in Aruba, in Lago Hospital, grew up in the old Lago Colony, cradle to college, and who had a Dutch father who worked from Lago, to obtain residency permit to retire to Aruba?

As a retired physician (Family Medicine) with a Masters in Public Health as well, I have to wonder why there is a requirement for:
    "3. a valid vaccination certificate for smallpox, not more than three years old" given that smallpox (in the wild, not labs) have been eradicated globally decades ago.

Aruba since 1979
    i do not have an answer other than it being not the usa.
    maybe someone who is there now full time resident (expat) can say if that requirement is still in full force.

Quote Originally Posted by jfltdoc View Post
    As a retired physician (Family Medicine) with a Masters in Public Health as well, I have to wonder why there is a requirement for:
    "3. a valid vaccination certificate for smallpox, not more than three years old" given that smallpox (in the wild, not labs) have been eradicated globally decades ago.

The doc posted the same post years ago...I am guessing if people continue to move to Aruba (and they do) and its impossible to get vaccinated, I assume it is no longer an issue, but I have been wrong once or twice before

After submitting the information you mentioned for residency application; do you know how long a wait till one hears from DIMAS? thank you.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456