Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Retiring in Aruba?

Question Retiring in Aruba?

Hi, I've been to Aruba several times over the years, not every year like some of you very lucky people, but we are considering moving to the Caribbean when we retire. Aruba is at the top of our list of course. The only problem we think we may have is the heat. We are from PA where it gets very cold in winter and very warm in summer, but nothing like Aruba's heat.

It's one thing going to Aruba for a week and going from the hotel to the beach palapa to the swim up bar to the restaurants. But that's vacation. What concerns me is real daily life. You know, hanging at home, going to get groceries, running errands, etc. Is there anyone who has retired that can tell me what every day in that temperature is like? Thank you very much!

Aruba since 1979
    As someone who retired and moved to Florida the best answer I can give is to do your errands early in the day before it is too hot.

There red are thousands of things to consider before making the move.

Residency is is a long and complicated process.

I recommend end being a snowbird and renting for a couple of months.

I think you should read this blog and maybe PM the author, she is a member here. Her family has just moved to the island and she may be able to help you out with some of your concerns,

https://zislandlife.wordpress.com/

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I think you should read this blog and maybe PM the author, she is a member here. Her family has just moved to the island and she may be able to help you out with some of your concerns,

https://zislandlife.wordpress.com/
    Loved reading this blog walt, thanks for sharing pretty cool to read about how moving to Aruba has been for their family.

for the daily hi/low for the past year go to accuweather.com, enter westpunt,aruba.click on month,it will give you the hi/lows that occured for each day of every month for last year

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    As someone who retired and moved to Florida the best answer I can give is to do your errands early in the day before it is too hot.

There red are thousands of things to consider before making the move.

Residency is is a long and complicated process.

I recommend end being a snowbird and renting for a couple of months.
    I will definitely do that before making any decisions. Thank you!

Aruba since 1979
    sorry for all of the typos in my posting.
    i am using the iPhone

Being from NJ, I'm right there with you in the dream of retiring in Aruba...
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

From listening to an internet pod cast from a leading financial advisor, he recommends that people first rent for a month or 2 to try it out to see if you could handle it. He gets calls from people who want to retire in Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica etc. Sometimes American can't adjust to the slow pace of life in the carib when dealing with issues like banking, policing, utility services etc.

Aruba since 1979
    i know that some residents in aruba get very frustrated with cable tv, electric, landscaping and water bill .....paying!
    there are times that they have had to wait for hours.
    they are also frustrated with bank fees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast