Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By memebombeme
  • 2 Post By Angela Munzenhofer
  • 2 Post By photosbyjulia
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: :: School Year and cut-off age ::

:: School Year and cut-off age ::

Hi everyone! I've been looking at previous threads but couldn't find the answer to this. Is the school year in Aruba the same as in the US (Aug-Jun)? What's the cut-off age (is a child born in December of 2009 is eligible for Kinder 2013?). I'm trying to look for schools for my children and I don't want them to go to the American School. Are there any other good private schools? My children speak Spanish only.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i will forward this link to some aruba residents /forum members and they will advise.

Quote Originally Posted by memebombeme View Post
    Hi everyone! I've been looking at previous threads but couldn't find the answer to this. Is the school year in Aruba the same as in the US (Aug-Jun)? What's the cut-off age (is a child born in December of 2009 is eligible for Kinder 2013?). I'm trying to look for schools for my children and I don't want them to go to the American School. Are there any other good private schools? My children speak Spanish only.

Hi,

The school year in Aruba runs from August till July.
    If I am not mistaken to enter kindergarden a child needs to be 4 years.
    So if your child was born in December 2009, he/she will be eligible in January or August 2014. Another private school is "De Schakel" (dutch school)
    Hope this helps. Thanks, Bully

Thanks Bully! I have been to their website (de schakel) but since I don't understand Dutch I wasn't able to get any information. Papiamento is easier for me since Spanish is my mother tongue. If I find uselful info, I will post it here for others.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks

School begins the week of August 16 and ends July 6 or 8.
    Your child will be able to attend Kindergarten.
    You will have to check out the schools. My kids were English speaking and they took well to Papiamento for Kinder years and they picked it up without a problem. Within two weeks they were running with school friends in Papiamento. I cannot advise on any English speaking schools. I think cutoff is October 2009
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

The rules are your child must have had 4th birthday by October 1st. There are plenty of great preschools. Spanish speaking children will easily learn Papiamento, you can register your child at SKOA and they will place your child in a school or you can register at a private school like Washington or Kudawecha (both require at least a 1 year pre-registration, and sometimes that's not even enough time in advance. The Schakel is an excellent school, Dutch only (Spanish is not spoken). They have a pre-school called Prikichi who will except a toddler and then move the child to the kindergarten on their 4th birthday. The price is about $6,000 per year. Hope this helpful, feel free to ask more questions. Rgds, Julia

Quote Originally Posted by photosbyjulia View Post
    The rules are your child must have had 4th birthday by October 1st. There are plenty of great preschools. Spanish speaking children will easily learn Papiamento, you can register your child at SKOA and they will place your child in a school or you can register at a private school like Washington or Kudawecha (both require at least a 1 year pre-registration, and sometimes that's not even enough time in advance. The Schakel is an excellent school, Dutch only (Spanish is not spoken). They have a pre-school called Prikichi who will except a toddler and then move the child to the kindergarten on their 4th birthday. The price is about $6,000 per year. Hope this helpful, feel free to ask more questions. Rgds, Julia
    Thanks Julia! if I enroll my children through the SKOA wouldn't that mean that they would go to a Catholic School? Not that that's a problem, we're Roman Catholics, but I would like to keep my options open. I sent an email to the SKOA, hopefully they will right back soon.

So this is what I have learnt so far: If you want your children to attend a Catholic school you have to contact SKOA (Copernicustraat #11, Oranjestad, Aruba. Tel: (297) 5821848 - Fax: (297) 5827782), if you want your children to attend a public school you must get in touch with DPS (Caya G.F. Betico Croes 38, Oranjestad, Aruba. Tel.: (+297) 528-3333 / 528-3334 - Fax: (+297) 583-1522). If your children are going to attend a puublic school and they only speak Spanish they are going to be placed in a "prisma klas". On the other hand, if you want your children to attend a private school, you should get in touch directly with the school. Sorry I can't post email addresses or links, I'm not allowed to do so by the site. Anyway, I hope this is helpful for somebody else. Thanks a lot to all!

Aruba since 1979
    Glad u got the info and thanks!