Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ship a car to Aruba

ship a car to Aruba

We spent the month of January in Aruba. OMG we did not want to come home. So we decided we are going to buy a place! Has anyone ever shipped a car over from the Boston area?

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I haven't, but it might be cheaper to buy a car in Aruba. I know that people have bought cards from some of the car rental agencies.

We shipped a car from Boston about 4 years ago. It was expensive. They took it by truck to Jacksonville and from there it went on the ship. It cost about $2000. for shipping. The car was old, but looked good. Customs did not believe our sales receipt, so they doubled the value and we had to pay duty their value. The shipping and duty came to 3 times what we paid for the car. Next car we bought in Aruba.

I am interested to know how the government figures the tariff on cars. I have a 2000 Mercedes ML320 in great condition but don't want to charged more in tariffs then the car is worth.

Wink

Hi ZipPak,
    I suggest to sell your car and buy something similar car that is a bit cheaper in Miami and ship it from there, it is a lot cheaper. Or just buy it here in the island. It will be more convenient.

what about New York?we need also ship car from New York.does anyone know where to start?what company does shipping and all we need to know?

I am looking into shipping my car this fall to the island. I will have my resident permit at that time and will not have to pay an inport duty. After lookinga round for a car on the island, I find it cheaper to ship mine down there. I am in the Boston area and it will be picked up and trucked to Miami and shipped from there. Cost is estimated to be $3,500.00 to get it there. . . . Much cheaper than buying the same vehicle on the island. . . .

Tom and Stanley

If you've owned it longer then 6 months you don't pay any taxes on it.(thats if you are moving here) we drove one of our cars down to Miami and shipped it here and it was $2500. My car was only a few years old with not many miles. so it made more sense to do that then to buy one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    I am looking into shipping my car this fall to the island. I will have my resident permit at that time and will not have to pay an inport duty. After lookinga round for a car on the island, I find it cheaper to ship mine down there. I am in the Boston area and it will be picked up and trucked to Miami and shipped from there. Cost is estimated to be $3,500.00 to get it there. . . . Much cheaper than buying the same vehicle on the island. . . .

Tom and Stanley
    Who knows - what do I need to pay taxes in this case?
    How long can I go around the island on American rooms without customs?

Aruba since 1979
    what does this mean?

"How long can I go around the island on American rooms without customs?"

=zaoss;266597]Who knows - what do I need to pay taxes in this case?
    How long can I go around the island on American rooms without customs?[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast