Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Hot Water Heater

Solar Hot Water Heater

I just spotted another SolaHart hot water heater here in Aruba. This is the second one I've seen; there may be others. Many homes in Aruba do not have running hot water with a central unit, but rather a point of use type device located in the shower and such. The SolaHart unit can be used in various ways and the best part is, it has an insulated tank to store hot water over night for use when the sun is down or first thing in the morning.

Actually, the best part is, after you set up the unit, you don't have to pay Elmar or Arugas for energy to heat water.

I put a photo on my blog. It is under the heading Energy Alternative and Island Practical.

Bon dia from Aruba.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Kicking back and relaxing for two weeks, on the beach.. Jewelry Shopping and the Alhambra...........

solar

Hello San Nic,

I thought the government was against putting solar on your home for the simple fact of being off the grid. But I guess if its just for hot water this is fine, must be.. Maybe its the solar panels for electricity..

Becky

Becky,

The subject of producing one's own electricity here in Aruba, either by wind or solar, has been discussed on this board several times. My local architect has given me the guidelines and I was ready to install a system that was designed to produce about 90% of the electricity required at my shack.

However, I've learned over the past year or so that things such as this are not always as published. In other words, one person interprets the rules one way while another interprets them a completely different way. Sure, it should be simple but yes doesn't mean yes; it means maybe, maybe not.

I'm not going to send $25K worth of alternative energy equipment to the island, spend my time installing it, only to get nasty letters, threats of grid disconnect, and have to hire a lawyer to reply. It all depends on who you talk to and when you talk to them and then what they tell you may change. That kind of nonsense is for people with more time and money than I have.

Thus, I'm going to liquidate my system components and start over. Oh well. I'm sure the people who create, interpret, and enforce the alternative energy rules in Aruba have their reasons and in their minds, I'm sure they are good ones.

I mean, isn't it better to spend a whole lot of money on oil than to keep it for yourself and make the island an environmentally cleaner place? They certainly think so.

At least you can heat water with the sun without a bureaucrat trying to stick his fingers into the pie. For now. They'll probably find a way to tax, permit, or regulate sunshine any day.

Bon dia.

Kicking back and relaxing for two weeks, on the beach.. Jewelry Shopping and the Alhambra...........
    That page was messed up

However, I've learned over the past year or so that things such as this are not always as published. In other words, one person interprets the rules one way while another interprets them a completely different way. Sure, it should be simple but yes doesn't mean yes; it means maybe, maybe not.

That's the Aruba way - sounds like what I am going through for taxes!!!

Lizzardo, your story seems more interesting every day!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Lizzardo (and others),

As you know, these various interpretations are not only frustrating they are someday going to cook the goose that lays the golden eggs. Then what? To which the universal reply is, "Wasn't that goose tasty?"

Really, it sure is a blast to live like there's no tomorrow, but then tomorrow comes and the only thing that's left is "no."

Last edited by SanNic44; 04-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Aruba since 1979

From beckybnot

Good Morning,

I agree with what you are saying.. I live in Vermont, where they don't want to put wind towers up because it will ruin the view on the ridge lines of VT.. Gee, lets not do the smart thing, and go green.

It all boils down to the government losing money and all the company's that supply energy now wouldn't be doing so hot.

Aruba has enough sun and wind to supply the whole Island with all of thier energy needs, electricity and hot water.
    My fiance installs Solar Thermal systems. It's getting quite popular, but as you know, exspensive. Great and quick payback..

Good Luck with your adventure, just tell them its easy to be Green.
    And your environmentally friendly, it's the way to go...

Have a Great Day!!!
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Becky,

The subject of producing one's own electricity here in Aruba, either by wind or solar, has been discussed on this board several times. My local architect has given me the guidelines and I was ready to install a system that was designed to produce about 90% of the electricity required at my shack.

I'm not going to send $25K worth of alternative energy equipment to the island, spend my time installing it, only to get nasty letters, threats of grid disconnect, and have to hire a lawyer to reply. It all depends on who you talk to and when you talk to them and then what they tell you may change. That kind of nonsense is for people with more time and money than I have.

Thus, I'm going to liquidate my system components and start over. Oh well. I'm sure the people who create, interpret, and enforce the alternative energy rules in Aruba have their reasons and in their minds, I'm sure they are good ones.

I mean, isn't it better to spend a whole lot of money on oil than to keep it for yourself and make the island an environmentally cleaner place? They certainly think so.

At least you can heat water with the sun without a bureaucrat trying to stick his fingers into the pie. For now. They'll probably find a way to tax, permit, or regulate sunshine any day.

Bon dia.

Randi - my offer stands - buy me a cup of coffee and i'll
    tell you anything you want to know! LOL!

You know what might be a great thing - solar pool heaters!

I think that the tax thing has gotten a lot of ex-pats who
    live here really bitter and frustrated with Aruba. It's going
    to be interesting how much the real estate market might
    jump because of all the hassles and hurdles to live here.
    Also - have heard from a "group" who was trying to get
    something written up in the papers - no one wants it.

I can understand that Aruba at large won't be sympathic
    about the situation but since people are getting tax bills
    dating back for many previous years and not having
    any they can do because it is after the fact they
    are in a worse situation than if they knew about it
    right away (and many people had different lawyers
    who do their residency papers who never mentioned it)
    they would have taken it better.

I just went to your website, beautiful photos!!!

Coffee...in December, would enjoy that!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast