Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Surprised at the amount of crime in Aruba.

Unhappy Surprised at the amount of crime in Aruba.

I'm getting ready to take a trip to Aruba in less than 10 days to look at properties. I was searching the web and came across the Aruba Herald Online.

http://www.arubaherald.com/911.html

http://www.arubaherald.com/court.html

Under the Court and 911 section is a listing of all the REPORTED crimes and prosecutions in Aruba.

It seems like there is an elevated level of crime for such a small island with a population of around 100,000.

It does seem like the police are trying very hard to combat the increase in crime over the last few years.

That being said, any property I may consider purchasing will be in a gated or secure development.

My feeling is you find some level of crime no matter where you go; even at home. I have always felt safe in Aruba, use common sense and take the same precautions I would at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    My feeling is you find some level of crime no matter where you go; even at home. I have always felt safe in Aruba, use common sense and take the same precautions I would at home.

I know there are crimes everywhere but the amount of shootings, stabbings and burglaries, armed robberies and tourists getting robbed is what's got me concerned. There is not this level of crime where I live in the US.

Many of the realtors I've been in contact with hinted to the level of crime, in their recommendations of purchasing something in a gated or "secure" development.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.

It all depends on how you read those articles. I will admit that it may be my love for Aruba that allows me to look past some things, but looking at that first link and seeing 1) nothing posted since May & 2) a few of those reports being drunk tourists makes me very comfortable and reassured that the level of crime in Aruba isn't more than anywhere else
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

In looking at all of the crime reported, the /court link showed 3 events in 2013. The /911 link showed about 70 separate events, of which several were in regards to drug trafficking, vandalism, rowdy tourists and a few were continuation stories of previous incidents. I don't live in a huge metropolitan area, but that sounds like a relatively small number over a 6 month span. Aruba is a very safe location, but one must pay attention to their surroundings and practice personal safety. I must assume you have visited the island previously if you are considering purchasing property there. That being said, if I were you I would look into the area where you feel safest. There is no shame in living in a gated or secure developement, and I'm sure the agents get a bigger payday if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    It all depends on how you read those articles. I will admit that it may be my love for Aruba that allows me to look past some things, but looking at that first link and seeing 1) nothing posted since May & 2) a few of those reports being drunk tourists makes me very comfortable and reassured that the level of crime in Aruba isn't more than anywhere else

It's not the drunk tourists, DUI's and petty drug offenses that has me concerned. Even the traffic fatalities aren't much of a concern; when you consider the per capita percentage. It's the theft and other serious stuff.

You have to remember that these are only the crimes that are REPORTED by this online newspaper.

It's definitely something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    IThere is no shame in living in a gated or secure developement, and I'm sure the agents get a bigger payday if you do.
    That may be the case. Again, I will do some investigating. I plan on exploring the island extensively by bus while I am there. I want to see what the real Aruba is like and not just the resort/ tourist areas by the beach.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=188.2640

Many of these incidents aren't reported by the Aruba Herald.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=188.2640

Many of these incidents aren't reported by the Aruba Herald.

I live here full time and have many friends here also. We were talking the other day about life here and it was brought up that very little is reported in the papers about all the crime here on the island. We are getting our crime information by word of mouth from police officers we know and other people in hotel management and those that work in the government offices. You will not get any of this information in any newspaper here due to it being a tourist island and they (officials) only want the positive things reported. If the tourists start reading about the "incidents" that happen here, tourism will go down so will the economy of the island.

Just remeber when you are here, use common sense and be aware of what is around you. Yes there is crime all over the world, but you are here on a small island and it is getting more noticeable. Be careful and be safe. . . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    I live here full time and have many friends here also. We were talking the other day about life here and it was brought up that very little is reported in the papers about all the crime here on the island. We are getting our crime information by word of mouth from police officers we know and other people in hotel management and those that work in the government offices. You will not get any of this information in any newspaper here due to it being a tourist island and they (officials) only want the positive things reported. If the tourists start reading about the "incidents" that happen here, tourism will go down so will the economy of the island.

That's what I figured.
    I had to do some digging to find the websites I posted.
    Like you said, the government want the crime reports suppressed; as not to hurt tourism. Totally understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    Just remeber when you are here, use common sense and be aware of what is around you. Yes there is crime all over the world, but you are here on a small island and it is getting more noticeable. Be careful and be safe. . . . .

I've heard this from several sources.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast