Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Surprised at the amount of crime in Aruba.

  1. #11
    Senior Member Chadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arikok Antilla Natural pool
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    I know there are crimes everywhere but the amount of shootings, stabbings and burglaries, armed robberies and tourists getting robbed is what's got me concerned. There is not this level of crime where I live in the US.



    Many of the realtors I've been in contact with hinted to the level of crime, in their recommendations of purchasing something in a gated or "secure" development.
    In any area with high tourism, there is a high level of theft, burglary and robbery. As for the real estate agents, those properties tend to cost more and they make more money on those sales. That's just simple economics.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    In any area with high tourism, there is a high level of theft, burglary and robbery. As for the real estate agents, those properties tend to cost more and they make more money on those sales. That's just simple economics.
    This isn't always the case. Many houses are much higher than condos.

  3. #13
    Senior Member danadog56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    everywhere and anywhere
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    That may be the case. Again, I will do some investigating. I plan on exploring the island extensively by bus while I am there. I want to see what the real Aruba is like and not just the resort/ tourist areas by the beach.
    vincep...have been going to the island seems like forever now and have never had an instance where I have felt unsafe. That being said...we always rent a car and drive all over the island, we prefer to frequent nontourist bars/eateries and again have never been hassled. Quit the opposite as a matter of fact, most places go out of their way to be kind and welcoming.
    I think as many have said before me....whether you are here in the states or in aruba you must be cautious and not do anything you would not do here....
    Tierra del Sol is a gated community, have a friend that owns there and hasn't told me of anything happening there (although to be honest, I never asked)....it is something to think about if you want a secure area to live in.....

    We all love Aruba and unfortunately as time goes on, so follows things we wish stayed away....tourists bring money with them so people that have bad things on their agenda will follow the trail of money...sad but true.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    vincep...have been going to the island seems like forever now and have never had an instance where I have felt unsafe. That being said...we always rent a car and drive all over the island, we prefer to frequent nontourist bars/eateries and again have never been hassled. Quit the opposite as a matter of fact, most places go out of their way to be kind and welcoming.
    I haven't had any problems the times I went either. That being said for the most part, I didn't really go outside the resort area and Oranjestad; except for one trip to San Nicolas and Baby Beach.(in the daytime)


    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post

    I think as many have said before me....whether you are here in the states or in aruba you must be cautious and not do anything you would not do here....
    That's what I plan on doing. I want to explore the Island, mostly by bus and perhaps rent a car for a day. I may just use taxi's when I don't want to ride the bus. I don't plan on doing anything I wouldn't do in the states. I am mostly there to look at properties and check out the island; beyond the tourist areas. I'm planning on buying a property about a mile or 2 inland around the Tanki Flip, Matadera/Noord Area.

    I should be able to ride the public buses around the island without having a problem. If I do, I will let everyone know when I return. Riding the bus to the grocery store, beach and downtown etc isn't or shouldn't be risky behavior. If it is, then I may have to rethink Aruba.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,681
    I hope you will come back and post after your trip. I'll be curious as to your decision on whether or not you want to buy a property in Aruba. In rereading your posts it doesn't sounds as though you are sure about it. My motto is when in doubt, don't; but that's me. So, have a great trip and find time to enjoy the island.

  6. #16
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,945
    If u have the time while on island try to catch up with tom and Stanley. They have benn full time residents for a year now and can give u much needed info.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    I haven't had any problems the times I went either. That being said for the most part, I didn't really go outside the resort area and Oranjestad; except for one trip to San Nicolas and Baby Beach.(in the daytime)




    That's what I plan on doing. I want to explore the Island, mostly by bus and perhaps rent a car for a day. I may just use taxi's when I don't want to ride the bus. I don't plan on doing anything I wouldn't do in the states. I am mostly there to look at properties and check out the island; beyond the tourist areas. I'm planning on buying a property about a mile or 2 inland around the Tanki Flip, Matadera/Noord Area.

    I should be able to ride the public buses around the island without having a problem. If I do, I will let everyone know when I return. Riding the bus to the grocery store, beach and downtown etc isn't or shouldn't be risky behavior. If it is, then I may have to rethink Aruba.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    If u have the time while on island try to catch up with tom and Stanley. They have benn full time residents for a year now and can give u much needed info.
    I may just do that If I have the time. This trip is going to be a short one. I will have just under 5 full days on the island.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Sunsette Grille, The Ruins, Wacky Wahoo, Stellaris Casino, The Hyatt, The Radisson, Palm Beach, Eagle Beach, Mi Duishi boat adventure
    Posts
    35
    We were going to buy in Aruba but put on hold. Sadly things have changed there. Personally, I do not feel they have
    adequate police to handle the change. Also, as stated, they do not want things public due to economic reasons. I love
    Aruba and will continue to visit.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryG View Post
    We were going to buy in Aruba but put on hold. Sadly things have changed there. Personally, I do not feel they have
    adequate police to handle the change. Also, as stated, they do not want things public due to economic reasons. I love
    Aruba and will continue to visit.
    In one place I am looking at, out of 13 condos in the complex(built in 2004) 4(as far as I know) are for sale. It looks really good on paper but why are 4 people selling their condos? And 2 of them for a great price? I can't help but to wonder if they had a bunch of burglaries.

    I was told that you can call the Aruba Police and they will tell you if there were an burglaries committed at a particular address. I tried that twice and no one picks up the phone. Imagine that? You call the police stations main number (297 587-0009)and it just rings and rings....

    I was inspired by this site.

    http://arubavacationrentalhousevilla.com/

  10. #20
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    I was inspired by this site.

    http://arubavacationrentalhousevilla.com/
    INTERESTING website. It specifically targets TWO villas.

    Out of all of the villas available for rent in Aruba these are the only two ever burglarized? We know that is not true, but now I ask myself if someone/people have a hidden agenda and that in turn makes me think, "Hmmm...".

    Also found it odd that the dates listed were (info current as of 12/26/2008) and (info current as of 1/25/2009).

    A lot can change in 3 or 4 years? Sometimes for worse, but when my glass is half full, the change IS for the better.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-07-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO