Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Surprised at the amount of crime in Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Your first post here in the forum...
    That's a legitimate question when seeking to buy a property. I guess I did acquire about high crime areas but that was not the main point of the post. However Acquaman said I was pre-occupied with crime in Aruba and that is simply not true. You had to go back to my first post to find where I made any mention of crime. Saying I was preoccupied by crime, as indicated by my posts, is a gross mischaracterization.

I'm goIng to jump in and say that it is very difficult to read into what people are thinking when they make a post. Most posters are just so excited to be in Aruba and the majority truly believe it is "one happy island"; myself included. So, when you read posts from someone that "sound" negative it is confusing as to why they would want to invest in a property. I hope you understand I would like to be excited for you but somehow Aruba doesn't seem like the right fit for you, but then again you are the only one that knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I hope you understand I would like to be excited for you but somehow Aruba doesn't seem like the right fit for you, but then again you are the only one that knows.
    I won't know either until I go there and investigate. When most people go to a tropical island on vacation, they aren't concerned about the level of crime. People are there to hang out on the beach and do fun stuff. The primary purpose of this trip is to check out properties, get a feel of the crime situation and check out the areas away from the resorts. I'm only going to be there for 5(full) days and I'm going by myself. Reading the crime reports are part of my investigation.

We've already had one local(ex patriot), Tom and Stanley, indicate that there are a lot of incidents that aren't reported; as not to hurt tourism. And another member, Mary, who is holding off on purchasing a property in Aruba due to an increase in crime.

The times we've been to Aruba in the past, we had a great time and felt like it was "one happy island"; so this is why I am looking to Aruba. I'm really hoping that during this trip that I will find Aruba to be a happy and safe place.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Vincep - No Offence... (Really... )

But I think if we switched the tables and you were on a forum and read posts from someone who has never been to your home town (or favorite holiday spot) who were making comments on a single (bad) aspect of the place without the benefit of proper context, it would be a sure fire way to hack you off (not saying thats happened yet). The best thing for you to do is to simply go, experience for yourself and then make your own mind up. The individual incidents you highlight are indeed true events happening on the island - But taken in the round they are not the norm of everyday life in Aruba (as I have experienced them) and your posts are (with respect) a little skewed and don't have the benefit of the positive experience we all hope you will have when you have visited.

I can see that crime concerns you but I'm sure somewhere on the internet I could find some truly horrible crimes happening anywhere in the world (Antarctica and Vatican City included !!). Sorry if I sound flippant, I don't mean to. But just go, experience, make up your own mind, then come and tell us what you think... I am looking forward to hearing your views after you have been to the island.

I hope when you get back you give us all a full update of your time there. I also truly hope you will see all the reasons why we all like Aruba so much and why maybe we get a teensiest bit defensive about it sometimes.

Have a great trip

retagger,

I tried to PM you but it says your mailbox is full and won't accept any messages.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant_guy View Post
    Vincep - No Offence... (Really... )
    No offense taken on anything you wrote.

Aruba since 1979
    vince you may want to read this thread Aruba Concierge service to assist with planning a move

you may get a lot of answers to your questions by contacting the person at the email listed on the thread

Andrea. Thanks for the info.

First day in Aruba. I found out a bunch of info already. So far so good. Will report when I return.

My trip to Aruba was overall a good experience. I ended up buying a condo, CHEAP. I will post a full report when I get the time; perhaps later today.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast