Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking my pets to aruba???

Taking my pets to aruba???

My wife and I plan to move to Aruba for six months at the beginning of 2011. We have a couple of cats that we will need to bring with us. Do anyone have experience in taking pets to Aruba from the United States? I have read that there is not a problem with bring them from the US, but I'm not sure about for an extended amount of time. Also, are there any issues returning them back to the US?

Not really part of this question, but if you have suggestions for great apartments, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks

Aruba since 1979
    hi welcome to the forum.

make sure your cats are current on their vaccinations and rabies.
    make sure that you are using frontline or similar for flea treatment (really important in aruba)
    make sure their health certificates are current......in order to travel into aruba, the animal must travel wtihin 10 days of the health certificate and vet visit.
    and
    traveling back from aruba the rules are the same.
    i am not sure if these are AIRLINE or Country rules.

i do know that flea prevention is hugely important.

maybe lizzardo will reply.
    lizzardo runs aruba "kitten rescue" and know the answers to your questions.

Hi there,
    I take Stanley with me and it is no big deal to take him there or bring him back to the states. I found all the info I needed on an Aruba web site. Just need documents from your vet stating all their shots are up to date, rabies vaccine is up to date and the babies are healthy. . . Check with your airline in case they need anything special. I fly Jet Blue out of Boston and Stanley is in a carry on bag with me in the cabin. . . . .

Good luck and don't worry. It's simple to bring your babies with you. . . . .

Tom and Stanley

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Tom, do you own a place in Aruba? I was just wondering where you found a place to rent that would let you bring your dog. Also, is the weight limit 20lbs?

Aruba since 1979
    the weight limit for jet blue is 20 lbs AND the pet must be able to change position inside the soft sided carrier.
    the airline staff is not hardfast on keeping these rules, a pound or 2 over is not unheard of.
    our cockapoo could pass the muster.
    she is 20 lbs. she can barely stand in the carrier, but can lay down and turn around inside.

re: pet friendly resorts.
    i "think" amsterdam manor currently is the only one. but not 100% certain.

Hi Hatteras,
    Yes, I have a home in Boroncana. Nice residential subdivision that is about 7 years old. Great neighbors and a fun place to live. We are from all over the world and really get along with everyone here. We have some terrific holiday parties out in the street too. . .

Stanley loves it here. He runs all over and visits the neighbors and is kinda the little king of his area. . . .

Tom and Stanley

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Hi Tom -- Is Stanley a Shih Tzu? Hard to tell for sure from your pic. We've had two older Shih Tzu rescues, our current little girl is 10 and so happy! :-)

What everyone said is correct. Just a note - do not sedate your cats
    for the ride. Read this for more information:

http://petrelocation.blogspot.com/20...ying-pets.html

You have to have the health certificate done w/i 10 days before you fly.

All the 100+ kitties we rescued have been great in the plane. The hum
    of the plane seems to comfort them.

Another note - depending on what airline you fly on (and varies greatly) if you
    carry a pet in the cabin it might count as 1 carry on. AND you have to make a separate reservation for your pet and pay an extra fee.

Hi Windy,

Stanley is a Cavachon. AKA designer dog. . . . He will be 2 in Feruary. . . . O, he loves it on the island. . . . .

Tom, does Stanley ever have any run-ins with the local dogs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast