pier

Thread: Teaching in Aruba???

Teaching in Aruba???

Hi everyone!

I am a single, young, male teacher in the Northeast US and I have a certain school in Aruba interested in me moving down there to teach for them. I was wondering what teaching in Aruba is like and if there are any teachers out there that would like to give me some advice. Besides the normal benefits of living on a beautiful island, could I save some money? How is the cost of living compared to a normal US suburb? What would the crime rates be like in middle class neighborhoods? If I wanted to find a possible roommate where could I start looking?

Thanks in advance to any advice!!

It hard to say how affordable the Island would be for you . Aruba would be comparatively about as expensive as New Jersey, some things a little more some alittle less. The crime rate is not a factor, if you exercise common sense it is very safe.I know if I was presented that oppurtunity a young age I would not hesitate. Good luck.

Aruba since 1979

I am a single, young, male teacher in the Northeast US and I have a certain school in Aruba interested in me moving down there to teach for them. I was wondering what teaching in Aruba is like and if there are any teachers out there that would like to give me some advice.working permits in aruba are very hard to come by. will the school that is hiring you handle all of the red tape? Besides the normal benefits of living on a beautiful island, could I save some money? If your housing was inexpensive and your salary was great then you would be able to save.How is the cost of living compared to a normal US suburb? depending on what you do for fun and how frugal you are would give you the cost comparisons. i am guessing that housing would run you about 1000 florins a month and that would NOT be beachfront . if you spend $150 a week here in the usa for groceries, you will be spending about $200 there. your cell phone will be more costly in aruba. your electricity and water will be more expensive. not obscenely expensive, but more expensive nonetheless....maybe 30% more. the middle class neighborhoods although looking very different than here in the usa are quite similar. kids playing kickball, neighbors talking, gardening and tending their property. modest and upscale homes are all over the island. there are really no very disturbing looking slums as one would see in mexico or the doinican republic. What would the crime rates be like in middle class neighborhoods? there is some crime, but nothing in comparison to here in the usa. drug laws are tough, even for marijuana.If I wanted to find a possible roommate where could I start looking? your employer hopefully will be helpful re: a roomate. you will get many suggestions on this forum
    andrea

Thanks in advance to any advice!![/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by ollockr View Post
    Hi everyone!

I am a single, young, male teacher in the Northeast US and I have a certain school in Aruba interested in me moving down there to teach for them. I was wondering what teaching in Aruba is like and if there are any teachers out there that would like to give me some advice. Besides the normal benefits of living on a beautiful island, could I save some money? How is the cost of living compared to a normal US suburb? What would the crime rates be like in middle class neighborhoods? If I wanted to find a possible roommate where could I start looking?

Thanks in advance to any advice!!
    Pack your bags,this is a job of a lifetime.I don't know how much money that you would make but living on Aruba ,great beach's,great food,very little crime,and they want to pay you.From what I have been told by people that are from the States its not that expensive to live on the Island.I wish I were a teacher.

Talking

Thank you so much for responding!!

The good news is that the school is offering me 600 florins a month housing allowance so that sounds decent. My salary would be approx. $25k a year which is around 45000 florins from what I understand. I don't live a lavish lifestyle by any means and I actually don't spend much on food at all if I don't have to. I stick to a pretty strict diet of fruits, vegetables, fish, and white meats so I don't think that spending money on food will be a problem. As for beach front property that's not a priority by any means. I will be happy living in a safe, clean, and somewhat furnished environment.

I guess the next thing I would like to know is what can a guy like me (young, athletic, outdoorsy, single) do for fun? I like to socialize and go out and have a drink from time to time so I guess I want to know is are there any other young professionals like me living on the island? I mean I love my job but I need other things to compliment work to keep me happy too. Also, is there any way I could take my dog with me?!? She is like my daughter and I would have a really hard time leaving her in the states
    Last edited by ollockr; 04-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Lucky you! This is an awesome opportunity! I am so jealous! I think you might have to take your dog through a quarantine process but i think they do let you bring your animals if you move. Make sure that you keep a close eye on her and if you don't have a fence to keep her inside as most of the dogs are loose and run the streets. Also, make sure you keep her up to date on her vaccines. If you are interested in snorkeling I know the Jolly Pirates does an awesome snorkel cruise when you have extra time! I visited Aruba in January (and of course fell in love with the island) and I absolutely loved the Jolly Pirates and their crew! I would also get certified for scuba diving because they have amazing dive sites around the island. They have an cool outdoor shopping centers (like a strip mall) and normally have a movie theater in the town center! I know I would enjoy just driving around the island, getting out, and just taking long hikes on the beaches! On one side of the island there are some ruins that are pretty cool (by the old Natural Bridge) and fun to climb around! You might also want to have a BBQ to get to know your neighbors! I wish you the best their and hope it is all you wanted! I myself hope an opportunity to move to Aruba rises for me! Keep us updated with everything! Good luck!

Thanks for all of the advice guys! Just want to clarify something and say that I don't have the position yet but I am a candidate for it. I'm still going through the interview process so I'm just going to sit back and hope for the best! If I do get the job I will be starting up a thread on here about finding somewhere to live on the island!