Aruba Beach

Thread: US cell presence in Aruba

US cell presence in Aruba

Hi,

I am to spend 6 month a year and working remotely in Aruba and need to have US phone presence in Aruba. What I mean is that I need to receive phone calls with US number. I have no problems in the house as I have soft phone from my work and Skype on my computer. The issue I am trying to solve is a cell phone.

I researched various options, but don't have clear picture and hope somebody do/did something similar and can share. This is what I need:

- receive/send mail from the cell phone
    - receive(on US number)/answer calls on cell phone

Please let me know if anybody did or planning to do anything close to what I am trying to achieve and we can share our thoughts, results of investigation on the forum or thru mail

Hi, I have the same problem. If I go there with my Phone, can I purchase a Prepay card of some Arubian company??

prepay card is not an issue. I have unlocked BB with Setar chip and just purchase 20/30 minutes in the airport everytime we come, 2 or 3 times a year. This allow me to call out. I am looking for US cell phone number presence in Aruba. I am still working and company customers will not call international.

Aruba since 1979
    i know not a cell phone,
    .... but what about using SKYPE or MAGIC JACK?
    both of these would allow incoming calls and you'd have a USA phone number.

can one skype from their iphone?

if you added an aruba SIM card to your iphones or BB, it would be an aruba phone number.

What about an international plan through verizon wireless? Here is a link that may help give more info. http://businessportals.verizonwirele..._to/index.html
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Thanks all, but:
    Andrea -
    Magic Jack - will not work if I am out of the house
    Skype - I would need Setar or Digicel with data plan on my smart phone. Still considering, the drawback is that I will need data plan on Aruba and in US, become expensive

Tracey-
    Verizon global - 2 bucks a minute, not for work only for occasional call. I am not Bill Gates

Anyway, still looking

Quote Originally Posted by bvolk View Post
    Thanks all, but:
    Andrea -
    Magic Jack - will not work if I am out of the house
    Skype - I would need Setar or Digicel with data plan on my smart phone. Still considering, the drawback is that I will need data plan on Aruba and in US, become expensive

Tracey-
    Verizon global - 2 bucks a minute, not for work only for occasional call. I am not Bill Gates

Anyway, still looking
    Yikes! I thought they also had a monthly rate, you may want to call to check. Our phones get turned off when we board our connecting flight to Aruba and stay off for the most part. I did have to check a few times on our first trip and my extra fees were about $50 for what I swear was about 10 minutes online.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

I SERIOUSLY do not know much about it, but have you researched the possibility of using Google Voice?

have not thought about Google Voice, but will look
    thanks