pier
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what are the average monthly expenses for retirees

what are the average monthly expenses for retirees

I would like to know what is the average cost for a retiree. Meaning, monthly expenses for food, utilities, not to include rental prices.

An example, for (1) person, food may be $200, utilities $300 a month. Can someone give me an example. Okay, to further explain, some retirees move to Mexico and say their monthly living expenses is, say $1000.00, but this is including rent. Or they may say Panama, their total living expenses is $1000.00 a month.

What is the idea salary to have to live there? Thanks

That is a hard figure to provide since everyone is different in their
    food shopping and use of utilities. It also depends on what kind
    of place you are looking to rent. I don't think there is any
    place that even provides that kind of statistic on Aruba.

Sorry can't help more.

Hi there. I have a home on the island and have asked this question to my neighbors many times. Some are retired, some are local and still work and some come for long stays (over 2 months at a time). The answer seems to be that the monthly living expense without a mortgage or rent payment is less than $1,000 US per month and that is going out to dinner at least once a week. . . . I have made a list of my spending when I was on the island for 5 weeks last Christmas and I lived very well for $975. That was dinner out often, groceries and liquor for neighborhood parties. . . .

Tom and Stanley

It depends on the place you are moving to.
    For example:
    Does it have a pool? Expense
    Large landscaped yard? Expense
    Maid (which are really affordable here)? Expense

I think the $1k is about right - just not dining at Ruth's Chris

Our average elect. = $130.00/month
    ...... average water = $31.00

This is our average for Sept 2008 thru Feb. 2009 ( 6 months)

We do not have a pool. Usually only run airco in evening.
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

WOW! You are lucky! We have a big lot and house and 7 aircos.

We have some of our aircos on all day, an irrigation system, pool, satelite TV, maid, gardener!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
    WOW! You are lucky! We have a big lot and house and 7 aircos.

We have some of our aircos on all day, an irrigation system, pool, satelite TV, maid, gardener!
    Conservative might be a better way to put it. We get a nice breeze through the house durning the day. Usually don't start the air up until dark.
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Karen View Post
    Our average elect. = $130.00/month
    ...... average water = $31.00

This is our average for Sept 2008 thru Feb. 2009 ( 6 months)

We do not have a pool. Usually only run airco in evening.
    That's not bad at all and very comparable to our bills here in PA.

Thanks everyone. Actually, I had found a 1-bdrm apt I wanted to rent. I was curious as to what utilities would cost. I don't eat pork, seldomlt eat chicken, and rarely eat red meat (beef), I eat mainly seafood and vegetables. I don't drink sodas or alcohol, I mainly drink water and fruit juices. ****I'm not a 'health nut,' I do smoke cigarettes.

This leads to another question! I'm from the west coast, I've never seen a snake before, unless in school, pet shop or televisions. Nor have I seen a tarantula or as some say, 'bird spider.' Do I have to worry about any of these? I am scared of both!

The information everyone provided is very helpful. I do not believe the apartment have a swimming pool. One expense that I do know will be transportation.

Thanks.

Aruba since 1979
    have u looked into the income requirements and all of the other pertinent information in order to establish residency? re: snakes there is the aruba rattlesnake found in the desert/cactus conucu area, there are boas that were brought in that the government is in the process of eliminating, and i have never seen a spider. seriously, the wildlife, spiders/snakes are inconsequential IMO
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Annjell View Post
    Thanks everyone. Actually, I had found a 1-bdrm apt I wanted to rent. I was curious as to what utilities would cost. I don't eat pork, seldomlt eat chicken, and rarely eat red meat (beef), I eat mainly seafood and vegetables. I don't drink sodas or alcohol, I mainly drink water and fruit juices. ****I'm not a 'health nut,' I do smoke cigarettes.

This leads to another question! I'm from the west coast, I've never seen a snake before, unless in school, pet shop or televisions. Nor have I seen a tarantula or as some say, 'bird spider.' Do I have to worry about any of these? I am scared of both!

The information everyone provided is very helpful. I do not believe the apartment have a swimming pool. One expense that I do know will be transportation.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast