Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what are the average monthly expenses for retirees

Quote Originally Posted by Annjell View Post
    This leads to another question! I'm from the west coast, I've never seen a snake before, unless in school, pet shop or televisions. Nor have I seen a tarantula or as some say, 'bird spider.' Do I have to worry about any of these? I am scared of both!
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f16/i-dont-like-spiders-snakes-38954/?highlight=boa+constrictors I don't like spiders and snakes

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f18/amsterdam-manor-9-17-10-4-lots-photos-41997/#post155629 regarding boa constrictors, yes they are there, as well as Aruba rattlesnakes

We used to dive with someone who lived on the island. One morning dressing for work he stuck his foot in his shoe only to be bitten by a scorpion.

Yes, thanks! I've looked at the income restrictions. I just wanted to double-check to see how much the average cost would probably be. I read quite often that some things on islands costs more than the mainland. Example, food items that need to be shipped in, and utilities. And also, a few years ago, people I know here in the states were saying how Las Vegas Nevada was a good place to live as far as cost-of-living. I moved there three years ago and found it costs me just as much to live there as it did in California.

Wow! Snakes! Are the snakes in the residential areas? Since I am a smoker, (I always smoke outside of my residence) do I have to beware of snakes if I step outside to smoke?

Thanks.

I forgot to add, I was at one time going to move to Guam. I started reading that there were over a million Brown Tree snakes. These snakes grow 8-10 ft long. I've also read these snakes come in houses through toilets, sinks, or any opening to homes/apartments...During typhoon season these snakes stick to windows on cars as well as houses.

Yes, I am so frightened of snakes, I didn't go, LOL!

Aruba since 1979
    Anjell have u tired living on aruba for a month and giving it a dry run?

my husband and i never gave our new location a dry run.
    we sold our house in MA and moved to ME 18 mos ago.
    we had been to this town in ME many many weekends and for a few 3 or 4 mini vacations but never for more than 4 days/nights consecutively.

if we had rented someplace and stayed for a month, NEVER would we have moved up here.

The mini rattlesnake is endangered and lives at the park. The boas were concentrated in that area. But since they have no 'enemies' they are increasing in population. The Aruba gov't has a program to eliminate nut unsure of their progress. I think there might be a bounty on if you catch one - not 100% sure. Aruba is greatly concerned about them since they eat the nesting ground owls (shocos) - they nest in holes in the grounds, are they
    national bird of Aruba and endangered. Plus they are adorable to see in person!!

I have only seen a real tiny snake (like a garden snake here in the 5 years we have lived here if that helps you! Plus I would not have seen them if Mick
    hadn't found them! He has "nature" eyes!
    Last edited by lizzardo; 11-09-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    Aruba Kitten Rescue www.arubakitten.org

Hello Andrea, you are so right. I did the mini-vacations in Vegas, but, as you point out, it was completely different from living there.

Hello Lizzardo, I don't remember, but, the apartment is either near Eagle or Baby Beach. You're too funny, LOL! Me? Pick up a snake as a bounty? Okay, laugh and picture me just spotting a snake. I think this would actually be a good video for American's Funniest Videos. LOL.

Ooh, the Boas, are they baby boas or the big ones?

http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/berichte/ArubaReport.html

"The Boa constrictor is not a native snake on the island of Aruba. Nevertheless nearly every day specimens up to 2 meters long (6.6 feet) are captured."

Additional info
    http://www.wildaruba.org/Abstracts.html

http://www.dcnanature.org/news/news9.html

Aruba since 1979
    eeeeeekkkkkk

get the GUN!

Wow! Arubalisa, did you take this photo?

That's scary! But, glad to know at least one is caught daily.

Aruba since 1979
    i know lisa, and know that she and that MONSTER were not within 20 miles of each other.
    now, if it were her dear daughter, she may be brave enough to find a boa and take a photo.
    definitely NOT lisa
    hahahahahahahaha

the photo is from the link that she posted

check out the other photo of the snake eating the bird :-(
    that poor bird
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 11-09-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast