Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what are the average monthly expenses for retirees

I will give you my breakdown. We have a 3 bedroomed house. I have spent 173 days here this year and the other bedrooms are occupied mostly only at holiday time i.e. Christmas, Easter, etc. We have a small pool and although we have 7 aircos we are very frugal with them and like Tom & Karen we encourage the nice breeze to cool the house rather than run the aircos.
    Here are our costs for this year 2009 (12 months)
    Setar $860
    Web $780
    Elmas $1200
    Security:$660+ Maintenance contract $123
    Pool maint $800
    House taxes $1060
    House insurance $946
    Septic pumped $80/time

We have a small car and there are costs associated with that. As for food, expect to pay about the same as you do where you live now, maybe a little less if you are in the States. I'm from Canada so the costs are basically the same.

I hope this helps,
    Stella

BillStellaR,

Thanks. That's very helpful. Yes, right now I'm in the states. It's a hard decision for me to decide if this will be worth my while. I still find it hard to get certain information. People have given me lots of good advice. However, I am not certain where I stand if I am retired with tax-free income. If I am able to stay 6 months or longer-do I have to pay into the country's medical system. If so, although I have my own insurance, will I be entitled to use the country's medical? Or, do I need to rely on my own insurance?

Here's what I have found so far - http://www.casbon.net/other-retiring-in-aruba.htm, this has a guideline/info regarding utilities, startup/connection costs, as well as an estimate of the costs for water, electricity, gas, cable, telephone.....

Mail - are there street, home deliveries, or must purchase a post office box? What is the costs for this?

Aruba does have 'regular' mail service. Some people opt for using
    a 'freight/mail forwarder' based in the US to speed up the delivery
    and to ensure they get mail ordered packages.

The mail service is not the speediest and sometimes mail sent
    never gets there. They are trying to improve it.

Hello Lizzardo,

Do you have a list of the companies that provide excellent services for mail forwarding?

I know this seems like a silly question! I know that with palm trees, there must be coconuts. However, does Aruba grow Bananas? How about Mango, and other fruits/vegetables that require lots of sun? Example Oranges, Lemons.....

Are there any fruit stands in Aruba, or, would I have to go to grocery to purchase?

Thanks

I have used many services here and am very happy with
    http://www.qfglobalnetwork.com/

As for fruit growers here, no there are none. This is a desert island
    and the cost of water makes it too expensive to grow anything like
    that that needs a lot of water. Some people in their yards and having
    an irrigation system grow lemons, mangoes and other fruits but you
    will not find them at the stands. Fruit is brought in from the US and
    latin america.

Wall and Floor Tiler

Hi There is there work for a wall and floor tiler setter

I will make my decision in the next month or two if I will try to move there or Europe. I will, however, consider taking a vacation there just to see what it's like. My usual vacation spots have been Puerto Rico and Cayman Islands, and of course, Europe (Germany and Italy).

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and help.

Are cars a lot more expensive there?

I'd say that cars are more expensive than in North America.
    If you're looking for a second hand car this link might give you an idea, just remember that the prices are in AWG. http://www.4salearuba.com/

Second hand cars are often offered for sale parked along the roadside. I bought my second hand car after seeing it parked with a sign "4sale" at the stadium. When I couldn't get it to start after being off the Island for a couple of months I caller the seller to ask if she had a mechanic she could recommend. He boyfriend came to help, started the car and even put air in the tyres.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast