Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CK1

Thread: What is Savaneta Like?

What is Savaneta Like?

A lot of people on this forum have helped me with some ideas on moving to the Aruba. Right now my plan is to get a long-term rental and spend about 6 months out of the year (since I cannot get a work visa right now) and see if I really enjoy living there before considering buying something.

I will be in Aruba next week and have some appointments set up with a realtor to look at apartments. There is one she has shown me online but it is in the village of Savaneta, which I have never been to and am not familiar with. She has a few on the southern end of island and I have always stayed in the high rise hotel section of the island so I'm not really sure what to expect.

I like the idea of peace and quiet, but I also do not want to be completely isolated. I also do really like the beaches in the high rise hotel area. While I won't be going out every night, I would like some kind of night life and am wondering if that's available in Savaneta? Does anyone know about how long it takes to get from there to the downtown area or to the hotel area by bus or car?

I do want to be sure I'm still in an area I can meet people so I don't want to be somewhere too quiet

Any info would be appreciated!!

Aruba since 1979
    contact by pm sannic44

he and his bride have a home there and appears to love it.

we have visited folks in that area and enjoyed the nice family neighborhoods of savanetta.

Savaneta is a large area. There is the part that fronts the sea, where there is ZeeRovers, Flying Fishbone, and Old Man and the Sea. The houses near there are typically well-kept as they have views of the water.

There are a few other areas stretching inland, on the other side of the main highway. In there are other quieter neighborhoods, almost exclusively residential with a few Chinese mini-markets here and there.

Most houses are 1 floor, 2 at most.

This is Aruba for me, mostly the way it was when I first arrived in 1994 and people tell me the area has not much changed since the 1950's.

The best part about Savaneta (my opinion only) is that it is close to many things and far from the rest of the world. You're still in the Caribbean, not "little Miami" and yet you can have all the conveniences in a short drive. And prices are very reasonable on housing and food.

All the best,

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Hi 44 -- what are the beaches like in Savaneta? we've been spoiled by Eagle Beach, not so much impressed by Palm Beach! I love the idea of getting away from "hotel row" to a quieter more relaxed place!

Windy,

There are two small beaches in Savaneta, near the Aruba Beach Chalets. You stay on the coast road and look for the little bridge over the pipeline.

During the week, just a few locals around, sometimes none. But take your own coolers for drinks and such.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sdlyons91 View Post
    A lot of people on this forum have helped me with some ideas on moving to the Aruba. Right now my plan is to get a long-term rental and spend about 6 months out of the year (since I cannot get a work visa right now) and see if I really enjoy living there before considering buying something.

I will be in Aruba next week and have some appointments set up with a realtor to look at apartments. There is one she has shown me online but it is in the village of Savaneta, which I have never been to and am not familiar with. She has a few on the southern end of island and I have always stayed in the high rise hotel section of the island so I'm not really sure what to expect.

I like the idea of peace and quiet, but I also do not want to be completely isolated. I also do really like the beaches in the high rise hotel area. While I won't be going out every night, I would like some kind of night life and am wondering if that's available in Savaneta? Does anyone know about how long it takes to get from there to the downtown area or to the hotel area by bus or car?

I do want to be sure I'm still in an area I can meet people so I don't want to be somewhere too quiet

Any info would be appreciated!!
    What a wonderful opportunity to stay for a longer time in Aruba!

As you, I have been staying in Palm Beach area. My heart is set on that area. I have been staying in a smaller apartment complex, very cozy and charming, peaceful and quiet which gave my that Caribbean feeling. And still, only minutes away from the beach. Or the lights and life, action and music what Palm Beach has to offer. I also love going to Oranjestad which is only a 20 minutes drive.

I have been in Savaneta as well, only for a visit. From Palm Beach, it was approx. a 35 to 40 minutes drive (regular traffic). It's very beautiful and serene there. I drove a bit land inwards and had this "mountain" feeling. It also felt to me as being far away from tourism, a piece of the "original" Aruba, kind of nostalgic, where time stood still. Very beautiful in it's own way.

You will probably get the best idea what is right for you when you are there next week, going to those places. Then you will see the distances as well.

And something just crossed my mind: do you have to rent the entire 6 months at once? Or could you split it in 3 months? And stay for a while in one part? And then in another? Just a thought.

All the best to you for your "House Hunt"!

Thanks! I did enjoy my apartment hunting very much.

To answer your question, no I would not spend 6 months straight in Aruba. I am a consultant so I travel for work quite a bit so my plan is to be able to spend time in Aruba in between my traveling in the states, but still checking in at home once in a while. So it would be broken up.

If you dont mind me asking, where are you staying by Palm Beach? I loved the little apartment in Savanenta but as I suspected, I think it is a little too quiet for me.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    The apartment I have been staying is not really a long-term rental, sorry for the misunderstanding. Their rates are priced by night, starting at $105 per night for a smaller apartment during low season and over $300 per night with ocean view during top season.

I meant to say that you might like the Palm Beach area better if your realtor has apartments in that area available. Noord would also be only approx. five driving minutes away from Palm Beach.

Did you possibly concider Oranjestad? It might get you in touch with Aruban culture, there are many smaller and bigger events on a frequent basis and you live among Aruban people. It's only a short drive to the beautiful Eagle beach (10-15 min) and a short drive to Palm Beach area (15-20 min) depending where exactly you live in Oranjestad and depending to trafic.

Good Luck and I look forward hearing again from you.