Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Work in Aruba

Work in Aruba

Hi!
    After looking into work permits for Aruba and the such, I've found that I can only really get a job in Aruba if none of the locals are qualified or apply for that job.
    I'm currently graduating from University in the UK and have no intention of moving anywhere for a few years (well, unless I can afford to!!) but I was wondering what skills/qualifications would serve me best in trying to find work on your beautiful island. I am graduating with Psychology, and from here have many options available to me - further psychology (counselling, research etc), going into teacher, or going the graduate-trainee route and developing skills in management etc. I also would like to set up a holistic therapy business (e.g. massage/spa type thing).
    I admit that this may influence my decision, as I don't want to end up stuck in Britain forever because nowhere else want my skills! So what skills do Aruba need? Can anybody give me some advice? Love! xxx

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowfire View Post
    I also would like to set up a holistic therapy business (e.g. massage/spa type thing).
    Establishing A Business In Aruba http://www.arubachamber.com/establishing.htm

Can anybody give me some advice? Love! xxx
    Fluency in Dutch and Papiamento.

Skills Aruba needs:

Highly trained and experienced welders. There are very, very few independent welding shops with portable equipment to go on-site and weld.

Master Level Finish Carpenters. Ever since I lost track of Carlos the Colombian Carpenter, I've been inquiring as to a very capable individual who can do all manner of carpentry work including "BUILDING" staircases to the correct dimensions, angles, and degree of sturdiness. Also installation of built-in bookcases, cabinetry, and furniture.

Just two that I know of.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

i have been a welder in British Columbia Canada for a few years now and have been looking at possibly moving to Aruba if possible after i get my B ticket witch is qulifys me to do pipeline as well as structural jobs. if anyone knows a place that would hire me after i get my B ticket could they email me at Richard_johansen@hotmail.com

and so you know the tickets in BC go C,B,A
    C = structural
    B = Pressure/journeymen
    A =journeymen/specialize in something

Rich,

Might not be worth your time to come to Aruba. The refinery is talking about closing and they and the attending contractors would be most likely to need your skills.

There may still be work doing decorative iron work for homes and such should the above come to pass and those people do not want to engage this kind of work.

Greeting SanNic44,

You mention Valero is considering closing the refinery? why? low oil prices?

I am a senior refinery equipment inspector; visual, mechanical, nondestructive testing.

I am in a position of only needing to work seasonally, got any contacts?

QuinP

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Rich,

Might not be worth your time to come to Aruba. The refinery is talking about closing and they and the attending contractors would be most likely to need your skills.
    That would be a pretty big blow to the economy, especially right now.

Chadd and QuinP,

I can only reflect on what I hear from the people I know who work in the oil industry here in Aruba as well as in the United States of America.

As for Valero's situation and reasons for doing what they do in Aruba... it is ever-changing and varied and something I don't intend to discuss specifically any longer in this forum.

Separately (and UNRELATED to any questions asked on this thread)...

As for the benefits or tribulations of operating a refinery (or for that matter any type of petroleum related enterprise, including the exploration, recovery, processing, and/or transportation of said material) in the current political climate in any location, I can only say that oil companies are today's villains no matter what they do.

Please excuse me while I go fill up the car, top off the airplane, and make sure the boat is full, too. By the way, shouldn't all those petroleum distillates and derivatives be free? I mean, they only come from the deepest reaches of the earth, the worst climates, and some of the most violent and dangerous locales known. And then all you have to do is run them through a little heat and pressure and chemical magic and "wonderbar!" it's at the pump ready to send you on your way.

Work in Aruba

....and I'm looking for some information. I know many of these questions have been asked again and again, so I'll avoid being overly repetitive with my inquiries.

First off, let me say, that I understand (somewhat) how the process works for getting a job over there. If a potential employer wants to hire you, first they must seek locally for someone to fill the spot, and if they don't, you could be offered the job and, I believe, the employer will take care of the work permit for you (at your own expense).

Okay, so with that out of the way...let me just say, that while I've got designs on starting a business down there in the future, to begin, I would just like to work at a resort.

So my question to you folks, who know and love Aruba, is: do resorts even hire foreigners, or are those jobs not so readily available? Does it help me any that I have a Dutch passport, and speak both English and Dutch? I plan to learn Papiamento when I'm on the island, but that will take some time.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated,

Derek

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast