Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working From Aruba

Working From Aruba

Hi Everyone:

I was wondering if people work FROM Aruba (i.e. doing work remotely back to their home country) on a regular basis - pros/cons?

I've noticed network access can be a little touch and go at times and thought that might be a drawback. Are you able to video conference with some regularity and stability?

We're building a house on the island and I'm starting to think about how to manage my professional responsibilities remotely.

Thanks,

Stephen

I would suggest you contact SanNic44 about working from the island. I know he does a lot of things on the internet while he is here. He should be able to answer your questions. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Aruba since 1979
    also too contact Aquaman for the same reasons that tom mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    I would suggest you contact SanNic44 about working from the island. I know he does a lot of things on the internet while he is here. He should be able to answer your questions. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    also too contact Aquaman for the same reasons that tom mentioned.
    I think it depends somewhat on where you are located on the Island. It seems the Internet connectivity varies by area, even for wired service. We are in the Noord area on a wired DSL service from Setar using a Thompson DSL Modem. The quality of service has greatly improved over the past 2 years. I have done Skype to Europe and North America and the sound and video has been better than I sometimes achieve in North America. It is correct that service interruptions happen. This past May we were without Internet for about an hour or so. There have been longer ones around the end of last year of up to a day.

I should mention that the DSL link we have is on a line that also carries the security system and a voice over IP system.

As my career was in IT Engineering I have a reasonable base to compare the Setar service to. Overall, I think it is good considering the resources.

John

I have done a lot of skyping to Aruba - most of the time it's good sometimes you get an echo. Also we use vonage and that works fine too.
    Comparing outages in Aruba - it's better than a lot of places in the US for sure. The big think I didn't like is when we get blackouts.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    I think it depends somewhat on where you are located on the Island. It seems the Internet connectivity varies by area, even for wired service. We are in the Noord area on a wired DSL service from Setar using a Thompson DSL Modem. The quality of service has greatly improved over the past 2 years. I have done Skype to Europe and North America and the sound and video has been better than I sometimes achieve in North America. It is correct that service interruptions happen. This past May we were without Internet for about an hour or so. There have been longer ones around the end of last year of up to a day.

I should mention that the DSL link we have is on a line that also carries the security system and a voice over IP system.

As my career was in IT Engineering I have a reasonable base to compare the Setar service to. Overall, I think it is good considering the resources.

John

Thanks for the insights, John.

John, what is the minimum duration of a contract with Setar? I plan on doing some tele-working while in Aruba for just over a month. Can the contract for DSL be terminated after such short period? How do you go about establishing an account with Setar? We just bought a house in Aruba.

They just add it on to your telephone account. To the best of my knowledge you do not have to sign a long term contract. It is not like a cell phone contract. Setar also have some wireless plan but I am unsure of the details.

DSL is distance dependent. The telcos have what are called DSLAMs which carry and replicate the Internet access. These DSLAMs are installed in local areas. The max distance a home can be from a DSLAM is 4 km in order to have good service. After 4km expect drops and lower speed.

Thanks, hope they have one in Seroe Colorado. Do I just walk in and ask Setar for an account? What documents are needed? I don't plan to have a telephone service with Setar, I will use my prepaid Digicel.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mercedes View Post
    Thanks, hope they have one in Seroe Colorado. Do I just walk in and ask Setar for an account? What documents are needed? I don't plan to have a telephone service with Setar, I will use my prepaid Digicel.
    Thanks
    I am not sure if you can get DSL without having a phone. Setar purchased the Cable company several years ago so they may be able to offer a service via cable in Seroe Colorado. I needed to have passport, Notary letter of property ownership and pay a small deposit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast