Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aruba Hollidays

Smile Aruba Hollidays

i am going to Aruba in late April 2 holidays fall during my stay. Will this effect any activities

cant wait have not been to Aruba in five years

Quote Originally Posted by mary f View Post
    i am going to Aruba in late April 2 holidays fall during my stay. Will this effect any activities

I'm assuming you're referring to the Queen's Birthday and Labor Day. I'm usually there at that time (going a little earlier this year) and the only things that are closed are the grocery stores and stores downtown. All other tourist activities, restaurants, etc. are status quo.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Sopranos Piano Bar, Café 080, Costa Linda
    This will be my 3rd year in a row spending April in Aruba. The local holidays are actually very colorful. If you go downtown during the day (minding the detours for parades), there is all manner of live entertainment, art exhibits, and colorfully costumed dancers.

The worst of it is late at night, you do get quite a few people driving around the island, drinking and screaming (and flag waving, but that doesn't make any noise). But, they are usually kept off Irausquin Blvd (the high rises). Just plan to do your dining and what not that evening around Passeo Hernencia, and you'll be fiiiiiine.

I look forward to meeting some of you from the forums (and you senior members!) this April (and this December!).

Quote Originally Posted by mary f View Post

What are the dates of these two holidays?
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    April 30 - Queen's Birthday
    May 1 - Labour Day

Why is their Labour Day May 1st?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    April 30 - Queen's Birthday
    May 1 - Labour Day
    Thanks Liz....I knew we typically missed them during our stay. That's OK....we've got enough going on with Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Why is their Labour Day May 1st?
    History of Labor Day:

Labor Day has been celebrated on the first Monday in Sept. in the United States and Canada since the 1880's. The September date has remained unchanged, even though the two governments were encouraged to adopt May 1 as Labor Day, the date celebrated by the majority of the world. Moving the holiday, in addition to violating U.S. tradition, could have been viewed as aligning U.S. labor movements with internationalist sympathies.

Most other countries celebrate Labour Day on May 1, known as May Day. In Europe the day had older significance as a rural festival, but over time it has been replaced by the labour connotations of the holiday. The holiday has become internationalized and several countries hold multi-day celebrations including parades, shows and other patriotic and labour-oriented events.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

thank you! Labour Day in September means to me another school year and the end of summer!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    The holiday has become internationalized and several countries hold multi-day celebrations including parades, shows and other patriotic and labour-oriented events.
    ....including, unfortunately, military displays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast