Aruba Beach

Thread: Home Health remedy COUGH medicine

Aruba since 1979

Home Health remedy COUGH medicine

as silly as this sounds, rubbing VICKS or BENGAY or ICY HOT on the bottom of one's feet and then putting on thick socks, prevents coughing while in bed. now, SNOPES says it is untrue, but when we had colds after christmas we tried it and it worked.

a lady we play cards with is troubled by a cough at night and she tried it last week and was shocked as it worked.

WHY DOES IT WORK?

Aruba since 1979
    paul and i have tried this and it WORKS WELL but tastes unbelievably HORRIBLE.

Home Remedy for Cough

By Bonnie K. McMillen, R.N, B.S.N., College Health Nurse, University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, Bradford, PA, mcmillen+@pitt.edu

For the adventurous and independent sort, here's a homemade cough syrup recipe that really works. The ingredients are a combination of spices and nutrients with no unpleasant medicinal side effects -- no drowsiness, no dry mucous membranes, no cautions about using machinery or driving.

The recipe is from Herbally Yours by Penny C. Royal, 3rd Edition, June 1982. It seems to work for all kinds of coughs but especially for that dry hacky cough that keeps you awake and hangs on long after the cold is over.

One of our international students recently told me that her mother in India used to give her a cough medicine with similar ingredients.

It soothes an irritated throat and relieves chest congestion and phlegm. The bad news: it tastes terrible -- it really does -- but if you have a persistant cough, it's worth a try.

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 Tablespoon honey
    1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    2 Tablespoons water
    Mix and take by the teaspoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    as silly as this sounds, rubbing VICKS or BENGAY or ICY HOT on the bottom of one's feet and then putting on thick socks, prevents coughing while in bed. now, SNOPES says it is untrue, but when we had colds after christmas we tried it and it worked.

a lady we play cards with is troubled by a cough at night and she tried it last week and was shocked as it worked.

WHY DOES IT WORK?
    I don't have an answer, because I've never tried it, but it's ironic to me that you posted this. I was just going to ask if anyone had tried Vick's on feet home remedy on the stuffy nose thread, but then I remembered it was for coughs and not for stuffy noses.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984