Aruba Beach

Thread: Need advice about packing a tote for storage

Need advice about packing a tote for storage

Good morning, We'll be leaving in a week for our 6th visit to our favorite little island! We decided it was time to store a tote with the items we keep bringing back and forth each year. Thanks to recommendations I read on this board from Liz and Andrea I have contacted timesharestorage and have it all set up. I purchased the recommended size tote here and will make sure it is under 50 lbs. I plan to pack everything we are going to leave there in it and just check it as baggage. Has anyone ever done that before? I'm not sure how to secure the lid. Duck tape came to mind but I'm not sure if I would need to wait until we're at the airport to do that? Not sure if they will need to look inside before we tape it or if they'll just xray it? Also, not sure what to expect from Aruba customs. Will they charge us import tax for bringing in things we'll to leaving there? Thanks! Sandy

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    If its going in as checked luggage they will xray it. I would dock tape the heck out of it...Its considered luggage.

Aruba since 1979
    I cannot promise you that they will not charge you a tax bringing it in, but if it contains the kind of stuff that you would normally pack in a suitcase i do not see that taxing as an issue.

WHY are your bringing the container from home?
    when we got our container and became involved with timesharestorage we bought the container thru LOU and JOANNE. they provided the container and we packed it up as we were getting ready to go home from aruba.
    i cannot imagine them NOT providing the container to you?

yes you will have to check that container.
    yes you will have to secure the cover so that tsa can open it and then close it back up.
    i do not see how that can be done if you use duct tape.
    tsa is not going to duct tape it shut for you if they open it.

andrea

Don't know if they have this service at the airport you are leaving out
    of but at the Miami airport they had this thing that put a 'plastic' seal
    on your suitcases.

Here's the link about it:
    http://www.securewrap.com/

Never used it so I can't say this would solve your issue. But it
    is interesting.

thanks for the replies. The reason I'm considering bringing the tote from home is because I thought it would be a lot less expensive to do that. The email I received from timesharestorage said the cost of the tote to get it from them was $47. Maybe that was a typo as it seems extremely high.

Aruba since 1979
    ya it is $47
    but for the hassle of the duct tape and concerns, imo if you can afford it it is money well spent

lou and joanne have to pay top dollar for those containers due to having them shipped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes you will have to check that container.
    yes you will have to secure the cover so that tsa can open it and then close it back up.
    i do not see how that can be done if you use duct tape.
    tsa is not going to duct tape it shut for you if they open it.

andrea
    I have to agree with Andrea.

Regardless of x-ray machines, if the TSA wants to open it, they will. It would be inspected between check-in and being placed on the airplane, thus out of your control. I wish there a way you could put a TSA approved lock on the bin.

The TSA is not going to care about re-taping it shut and if they really want to see what is in there, they will open it. Just watch how they rip apart cars on "Border Wars" if they suspect drugs.

My camera bag was checked out by a TSA bomb team dog team when we left Aruba in December. The dog smelled the scent of my cats all over the bag and would not leave it until redirected by the TSA officer. I was getting ready to try to figure out how to explain that one. You just never ever know.

thanks everyone! seems like it would be much more of a pain than it would be worth for the relatively small amt of $ saved. Don't need unnecessary stress while on vacation. next year we'll go carry on only.

We got our container from Lou but I think you can purchase them at PriceSmart or Certified.
    Lou secures the lid with plastic ties-not sure how to describe them-on the order of garbage bag ties.
    I would get the container in Aruba-would not take a chance with the airlines. JMO

ArubaLisa - that means i'm in deep trouble if the dogs smell cats! LOL!
    I'll be taken out of the line for sure!