Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sunblock Expiration Date

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Ouch.
    Good advice.

For the Aruba sun - I go for the good (expensive) 75 SPF block & just keep putting it on!!

Last time we had not problems & we did an all day ATV tour - I was afraid my legs would get fried - but the block worked great!! Then that night we used the "after sun aloe" they gave us at the Surf Club.

Most retail sunblock is not good for coral reefs and since I spend so much time in the water it's usually easier to just take the one type.

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    I didn't even know that kind of sunblock existed. Hmm, makes me think. I swear by Hawiian Tropic. I start out my week in Aruba with SPF 8 protective tanning, and work my way down to 4. I am sure I will have horrible skin when I get older, but I think that there is no tan like an Aruban tan...I live in CT and I HAVE to come home with a good tan to make all my pasty white New England friends jealous in January!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    You especially have to watch the expiration dates On Hawaiian tropic. They have a wierd code on the bottom of their bottles and you can't read the exp dates unless you know their code...no kidding..we found out the hard way, really hard way with our daughter.
    Also, HT just changed all their bottles, so if you use thier products go for the newest bottles on the shelf, all new product and newest dates.

Aruba since 1979
    we have used panama jack "reef friendly" although it does not say reef friendly on it. it may say something on it like eco friendly etc...
    we only use it when snorkeling.
    the stuff is terrible. it looks and feels like zinc oxide and it is just like rubbing cream cheese over ones body. it is think and white and hard to rub in.

Quote Originally Posted by mjn109 View Post
    I didn't even know that kind of sunblock existed. Hmm, makes me think. I swear by Hawiian Tropic. I start out my week in Aruba with SPF 8 protective tanning, and work my way down to 4. I am sure I will have horrible skin when I get older, but I think that there is no tan like an Aruban tan...I live in CT and I HAVE to come home with a good tan to make all my pasty white New England friends jealous in January!

Quote Originally Posted by mjn109 View Post

I was like you when I was 30!! Now at 51 (and having had little pre-cancerous growths removed) I wear the strongest I can find & a hat!!

I didn't know there was special block to protect the reefs. CHAD - can you get it an pharmacy - or just in Aruba??

Thanks for the tip, Chadd. I was unaware that there was a reef friendly sunblock. I did happen to know to check expiration dates, but it was only because my mother-in-law told me a few years ago after she unknowingly bought some out of date sunblock at a discount/closeout store.

On one of our Aruba trips, I decided to be economical and buy the pharmacy brand of sunscreen. We figured right away that it might not offer the kind of protection we normally got from the brand names because it was thin. We were right. The kids and I ended up with slight burns the first day. Lesson learned.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
    I didn't know there was special block to protect the reefs. CHAD - can you get it an pharmacy - or just in Aruba??
    We purchased it online, there are a number of brands. They all go on fairly thick, especially if you put it on indoors.

Chadd...do u use reef friendly sunblock all the time or just when snorkeling??? And what if you are just out snorkeling like we do up past the kitesurfing area....it is by the coral upcropping, but not actually on live coral....does it hurt the marine life ???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast