Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tip of the Day

I see someone already wrote in on the Forum , about the Beach Vault, which considering my DH just brought me a new camera, I am happy I purchased my vault ( which was a tip suggestion ) a few months back, and will feel I have a safe place to put my safe keeping stuff

Quote Originally Posted by KATH2ME View Post
    I see someone already wrote in on the Forum , about the Beach Vault, which considering my DH just brought me a new camera, I am happy I purchased my vault ( which was a tip suggestion ) a few months back, and will feel I have a safe place to put my safe keeping stuff
    For anyone wondering Our Vacation Vault

Just thought of another good thing to do, if using a credit card, notify them that you will be using while vacationing. My last trip , my DH and I saw a couple trying to pay for there meal with a AE card, and it was rejected, they couldn't believe it, I heard the waitress ask them ,did they notify them, they had said no, they didn't think they had to.

Aruba since 1979
    [B]yup good idea/thought.

more credit card chatter in this thread : http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/cautio...ards-41780//B]
    Quote Originally Posted by KATH2ME View Post
    Just thought of another good thing to do, if using a credit card, notify them that you will be using while vacationing. My last trip , my DH and I saw a couple trying to pay for there meal with a AE card, and it was rejected, they couldn't believe it, I heard the waitress ask them ,did they notify them, they had said no, they didn't think they had to.

1. Already mentioned in a previous thread, but so we have it all together here...When packing, mix your outfits between the suitcases. I know it is easier to have "his" and "hers", but should your luggage be lost, chances are it will be one bag and not two. At least you will have some clothes for your vacation in sunny Aruba.

2. When packing suntan lotion for 10 -12 nights for 3 people we have at least 6 bottles. Each bottle goes into a ziploc bag. I squeeze the air out and seal. Each bag then gets rolled and are divided evenly between two larger ziploc bags. This way, by double bagging you will be sure not to have any lotion leak on your clothes inside your suitcase. Dividing each of those bags between two suitcases will also even out your weight limit for each bag. We do the same for library books, dividing them between suitcases, incase of loss as well as spreading out the weight.

My OH and I have both bought a Sony E reader for our first holiday to Aruba. We both like to read, especially on the beach, and in years past have taken anything up to 15 paperback books each on a 2 week holiday. With our allowed weight limit down to 20 Kg now, we felt it was time to go electronic.

Haven't regretted it yet, and I highly recommend them. The sony will hold up to 250 books ( I think) more than enough for any reader on holiday.

Oh, and I have bought a beach vault, and yes, they will both fit in it.

RE: Credit Cards

Besides calling your credit card company to let them know you'll be traveling abroad, also check to see if you'll be charged additional fees for using your card while out of the states. I didn't realize until I saw a post on this board that the credit card we planned to use did not charge that fee. Our card with a different company did charge the fee, so I was glad know that we would have lucked into the right choice.

Here's a little info about which banks add on the extra fees and which don't, although it's better to check with your bank to make sure this information is current.

How can you find out if your bank is taking a cut on every purchase you make overseas? Grab a magnifying glass and pull out your cardholder agreement. If you've had a card for a while, your bank may have popped in a fee notice with a bill.

"It's in the fine print that you get. But how many people keep that, let alone read it?" Perkins asks.

Your best bet is to call your bank and ask about the surcharges. Be sure to ask about fees on debit cards and ATM cards, as well.

Bank of America charges a 2-percent fee each time a customer uses an ATM card, debit card or credit card outside the country. Card customers pay the 1-percent conversion fee from Visa and MasterCard, as well. Bank of America also charges a $1.50 to $2.50 fee each time a customer uses an overseas ATM.

Other issuers charging a 2-percent surcharge on foreign transactions on top of the 1-percent charge from Visa and MasterCard include Citibank, Bank One/First USA, Chase, Providian and Wells Fargo, according to a phone survey by Bankrate.com.

Who's not charging these sneaky fees? A handful of big issuers and lots of smaller ones.

Capital One, MBNA America, FleetBoston and Wachovia Bank are not charging extra fees on foreign transactions at this time.

None of the nation's credit unions charge these kinds of fees. Most community banks don't either.
    http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20010416a.asp
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

No problem, Lisa. I'm glad you found and posted the updated information. You're a computer search guru!

Capital One Master Card is the card we used, and when I called to let the bank know we would be traveling to Aruba, they were quick to point out that they didn't add those additional charges. But, because of this board, I already knew that.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

First time the credit card company shut me off in Aruba, I had to call and get it ironed out the next day. The fact that the last charge before I went on vacation was booking the hotel in Aruba should have been a tip off to them that I was planning to go on vacation there.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    First time the credit card company shut me off in Aruba, I had to call and get it ironed out the next day. The fact that the last charge before I went on vacation was booking the hotel in Aruba should have been a tip off to them that I was planning to go on vacation there.
    Unless they thought the person that 'stole your card' booked the hotel?!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast