Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tip of the day, Sunscreen

I had the same red bumps even in Florida. I tried everything eventually going without any lotion. No matter what lotion I used it made my skin itchy. I finally found Coppertone Oil Free Sunscreen Lotion. Problem solved.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by arubaro View Post
    I don't notice a mess with the spray either. I alternate between the spray and a lotion. But the best advice is to apply at least 1/2 hour ahead of time and keep up with it. Sometimes even earlier than 1/2 hour.

About 10 years ago, I started getting these red itchy bumps after being in the sun for a while. If I scratched them, they got worse. I tried everything under the sun (haha) and learned to be very careful. I'm not a fair person, I'm Italian and have darker skin than many. This only happened in Aruba - I'm not sure why. A few years ago, Eucerin came out with an ad that said, "if you were meant to have bumps when you're in the sun, God would have made you a raspberry", lol. It was like they were talking to ME. They said to start using the stuff 2-3 DAYS before you started sitting in the sun to build up the SPF on your skin. So everyday after my shower, I'd apply a light amount especially on my "bump-prone" areas. And it worked like a charm. I was bumpless the entire 3 weeks in Aruba. It was the best stuff ever, Eucerin Daily Defense, SPF 30. Of course, after that year I couldn't find it anymore, anywhere. But I use the same principle of starting to apply it days before our trip, and it seems to work with any sunscreen. Just thought I'd share.
    Ro, I have been using Eucerin face cream for years as I have sensitive skin as well.

I didn't know that Eucerin made sun protection cream as well. So, I checked it out. Eucerin has actually their own website, showing the products they sell in the USA, however, they do not sell directly but give links to drugstores who sell their products:

http://www.eucerinus.com/faqs.html

Amazon sells it as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Eucerin-Protec.../dp/B000FKHNLO

Thanks for pointing out this product. I will probably try it out.

Thanks for the link CK. Ro, is it fragrance free?

Interesting conversations about sunscreen....I tried the spray-on, but it goes empty so quickly that I would go broke if I had to buy enough to last 3 weeks in Aruba, so I generally buy a 30spf oil free for the first few days and then I have to admit I go to the oil based spray of 8 or 4...m'bad....I know someday I will be sorry for this....might have to consider sticking with at least a 15 during my stay so I tan but do not turn into leatherlady !!!!
    oh, and the reason I actually decided to put my 2cents in....(I get so distracted.....) 2 years ago I was having a serious problem everytime I went into the sun...I'd put on sunscreen but after about 1/2 hour in the sun I would feel like I was on fire and start to get itchy....took 2-3 days before I figured out I was on my last few days of an antibiotic and it was the cause of all my troubles.......so just wanted to put that out there incase somebody doesnt realize you cant be in the sun with these meds......please check with dr before going on vacation if he has you on antibiotics.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Thanks for the link CK. Ro, is it fragrance free?
    You are welcome, Lisa.

My dermatologist recommended it many years ago and I use it ever since.

Thanks for the info on the cause of the bumps. I had never attributed it to sunscreen but rather thought it was probably salt water irritation. Interesting!

We are heading down in a little more than a week, I have been reading the side effects of my RA meds and sensitivity to the sun is one they both share.... I have a darker complexion and love the tanned look. I had experienced the red bumps in the DR the first year we went and just thought it was because the sun is stronger there. so I will try putting sunscreen on a couple of days before we go just in case.

kim
    Looking forward to trip #3

Aruba since 1979
    arubalisa had recommended "cera ve" skin cleanser to me.
    i bought some and their moisturizing lotion a few months ago and it has a 30 spf.
    long story short.........i left it on the table poolside here where i live, someone picked it up and intended to give it back to me. well, between the holidays and what not, she did not give it back.........

i ran into her at water aerobics the other day and she raved about it as a perfect sunblock.........she still gets a great tan and the lotion is perfect and no red bumps. apparently red bumps are pretty commonplace and an issue here in florida and aruba!

then she handed me a CVS gift card to buy some more. (which i will NOT leave at the pool)

i will continue to use the aerosol spray all over but the cera ve lotion will be for my face and after sun.

http://www.cerave.com/cerave-product...ing-lotion-am/
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-16-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i ran into her at water aerobics the other day and she raved about it as a perfect sunblock.........she still gets a great tan and the lotion is perfect and no red bumps. apparently red bumps are pretty commonplace and an issue here in florida and aruba!
    http://www.cerave.com/cerave-product...ing-lotion-am/
    You have been holding out on me! This is great information.

Suffering from some eczema, my dermatologist suggested their products and they were a God send. I can apply my medicated ointment with the moisturizer right over it.

Now off to FB them and request a daily lotion with spf 30.

As an added note. As you can see in my avatar, dd is very fair skinned. We always had her use spf 50 in Aruba. Then she began breaking out in a rash with a few lumps and bumps. Doing some research through "Dr. Google" I found the suggestion that the SPF might be TOO HIGH. The next trip she only used SPF 30 and not only was she fine, but no lumps and bumps or rash.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 02-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.

i have an autoimmune disease of the sweat glands. blocked pores are my enemy. any lotions, creams, bases or screens with oil in them are forbidden so these items really are important to me. besides which, my entire family rashes and red bumps itself to itchy madness with almost anything on the market today. i checked out reviews a bit today and here's an interesting ratings link.

http://www.theperformanceleader.com/eucerin-review/

btw, for sunscreens, etc, neutrogena has some of the best around. my daily moisturizer, neutrogena healthy defense daily moisturizer is an spf 45.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast