Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tip of the day, Sunscreen

Aruba since 1979
    we have pretty much stopped using the aerosol SPF.
    it is way too drying, even banana boat "lotion" spray spf 50.
    alcohol is in every aerosol product and just way too drying.

for the amount that we use, we have now swapped out to NO AD #30
    for noses, foreheads and ears.
    No AD# 15 for the rest of our sun exposed bods.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Nice selection at Ling
    What was $ 23 in all hotels was $17 there. We are partial to Hawaiian. Tropic. #30.
    They used to have cheaper Arhba Aloe stuff but now its the same prices as hotels etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    How much and how was the selection?

I usually plan on clear blue skies- no clouds = 1 bottle per person for every 3 days to be on the safe side.

Never have had to buy more, but still hoping to hit a streak of the kind of weather you have had

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    1 bottle per person for every 3 days to be on the safe side.
    Aside from my father and I, the rest of my family is very fair-skinned so we have to pack a lot of sunscreen. When people mention one bottle, how many oz are we talking about? I'm on amazon searching for sunscreen and I might get the Neutrogena ultra sheer for everyone but there are different oz.

8 fl. oz. on the Coppertone Oil free which we use. I buy it on drugstore.com. They are the least expensive I have found online. Around here everyone carries it in spf 15, but not spf 30. Dd is fair and needs the 30.

So is it safe to say a medium fair skin and Italian medium olive skin would be safe to bring 3 tubes #30 & 3 #15 (12 days)? I use usually use #30 Coppertone on my face and wear a hat or visor all summer (skin issues). I never wear it @ home (except on on weekends) then again I'm only in the sun on weekends. Should I bring more?
    When we are in the sun on weekends I have issues with the sun bumps on my chest and arms. We never go to the beach ( only 15 minute ride) we spend our time in a chlorine pool). Thanks

Aruba since 1979
    i would say you probably will have enough.
    if in doubt, bring 1 or 2 extra.

make certain you buy the oil free.
    some times the oil is what causes the bumps.

i have been using some sunscreen on my face and i am breaking out badly.
    that stuff is now in the trash and i am back to using the banana boat aerosol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathey View Post
    So is it safe to say a medium fair skin and Italian medium olive skin would be safe to bring 3 tubes #30 & 3 #15 (12 days)? I use usually use #30 Coppertone on my face and wear a hat or visor all summer (skin issues). I never wear it @ home (except on on weekends) then again I'm only in the sun on weekends. Should I bring more?
    When we are in the sun on weekends I have issues with the sun bumps on my chest and arms. We never go to the beach ( only 15 minute ride) we spend our time in a chlorine pool). Thanks

It sounds like enough to me. I too use to suffer from the red bumps until I discovered the Coppertone Oil Free.

Just make sure that you apply lotion to all exposed areas- tops of hands, feet.. Even if you are wearing a hat, slather it on the face and ears.

Even on a cloudy day in Aruba, the UV rays are so strong they penetrate through the clouds and reflect off the sand and water. Been there done that

Another tip...it does not happen frequently but has happened to us... the dreaded leaking bottle...
    I pack each bottle separately in a Ziploc bag, squeezing out the air before sealing. I then take the separate Ziploc bags and place them in a 2 gallon Ziploc bag, again squeezing out all the air.

In case one piece of luggage is lost and because of weight restrictions, when packing I divide the lotion into 2 or 3 of those "big" packages.

Probably way more than you want to know, hopefully someone will find it useful.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I use that foodsaver thingy and seal all my lotions before i go.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    I use that foodsaver thingy and seal all my lotions before i go.
    Fantastic idea! We have a vacuum sealer.
    How do you handle unused or partially used bottles coming home?

Thanks Lisa & Andrea, I be sure to stay away from the oils.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast