Aruba Beach
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By act1966

Thread: Best stores to buy fresh salad

Best stores to buy fresh salad

Having recently moved here I am trying to find the best stores to buy fresh salad, like arugula (rucola). Been going to Super Foods and it is not always available. I appreciate because of the heat that the sell by date is only a couple of days. Other store ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aruba since 1979
    i hear you re: the sell by date.
    fresh salad is always a challenge.
    when in aruba, we have been been buying the bagged salad kits.
    i not only look at the expiration date, but also the amount of puffiness of the bag.
    if the bag is real puffy, that is the gas from the lettuce/greens being released and then the shelf life is real short.
    try to look for a bag that looks like it has been vacuumed sealed and a lot of the air is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SueGardner View Post
    Having recently moved here I am trying to find the best stores to buy fresh salad, like arugula (rucola). Been going to Super Foods and it is not always available. I appreciate because of the heat that the sell by date is only a couple of days. Other store ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I first check for the expiry date, because not all is consumed in a day or two. I always prefer taking fresh ones!

I'm assuming you mean "lettuce"...?

We haven't had good experiences with the bagged lettuce and prefer the true heads of lettuce now. We found that Aruba's naturally warm tap water also wilts the lettuce after you wash it so you're never capable of refreshing the lettuce for consumption.

But the heads of lettuce tend to hold up better and longer. We've bought three packs of romaine at both Ling's and Superfood that have done well, Boston and "artisanal" lettuce at Ling's too.

We had problems with peppers (green, red, yellow orange) on our last trip - cut into them and they'd be rotten inside. Bad batch?
    Last edited by act1966; 02-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.