Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Cake

Birthday Cake

While at the Casa del Mar this coming July, one of our teens will be having a birthday. My question is does anyone have a recommendation for buying a birthday cake--where to get one?

http://www.panaderiadelcampo.com/Cakes.html

They're located around the corner from Caribbean Palm Village (not too far from the high rise hotel area.) I checked them out when I was there a few weeks ago because we're doing a surprise birthday party for a friend in Aruba in Sept. and we'll need a fun birthday cake!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Also see the info in the thread at Bakery

Aruba since 1979
    re: Panadeira DelCampo Bakery

while in aruba in few weeks ago we bought one of their cakes and found it incredibly dry. (at christmas 2007 we had bought a nice cake there and it was very good and moist) this time this cake was so dry we thought it was stale. it was a yellow cake with white frosting.
    brought it back the same day and got some "not so pleasant feedback/lip" from the manager.

he then gave us another cake, insisted we sample it before we left........it was VERY DRY. we told him that it was dry. it was not a pleasant experience. the guy was really nasty about it. so we asked for a few pastries instead. he said no and we left the store very embarrassed.

not sure if we'd go back.
    not sure if we'd be allowed back

Lings has pretty good cakes/pastries.

as lisa suggests check out the Bakery thread

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    http://www.panaderiadelcampo.com/Cakes.html

They're located around the corner from Caribbean Palm Village (not too far from the high rise hotel area.) I checked them out when I was there a few weeks ago because we're doing a surprise birthday party for a friend in Aruba in Sept. and we'll need a fun birthday cake!

I would try the Ling and Sons supermarket -- it's close to Casa Del Mar and they have a nice bakery section that, according to their website, specializes in birthday cakes:

http://www.lingandsons.com/ling/getPage.do?page=BAKERY

The last few years friends of ours got cakes at Ling & Sons for a birthday and an anniversary,both were very good.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Well, we celebrate 2 bdays while there. We finally gave up trying to get good cakes on the island. They all stink, try getting 2 kids on their bday to eat a prune cake...I don't think so....SO, we marched our selves to the frozen food section, yanked out 3 frozen SARAH LEE cakes, and that was it. Good, cheap, and tossed em when we were done. I think the 3 were less than 15.00....

I"m not familiar with CDM's rooms, but do they have kitchen facilities? If so, could you buy the ingredients (or a mix) and make your own?

If not, I'd go with Ling and Sons also. When there in April, I remember drooling in the bakery section (I'm a sweets kind of girl)

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Well, we celebrate 2 bdays while there. We finally gave up trying to get good cakes on the island. They all stink, try getting 2 kids on their bday to eat a prune cake...I don't think so....SO, we marched our selves to the frozen food section, yanked out 3 frozen SARAH LEE cakes, and that was it. Good, cheap, and tossed em when we were done. I think the 3 were less than 15.00....
    Ah....wifey....gotta disagree with you on one thing....can't say they all stink....we just don't have a taste for the supermarket ones. We should ask folks if they know where we can find a nice traditional white cake with white frosting (and....no prunes).
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

There are great independent bakers. They make you the homemade stuff from scratch.
    You just have to request what you need a few days before, I would say and pick it up when it's done. Some might even deliver it to you.

I would post telephone numbers but I don't have them at hand, if interested you can send me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Bryan Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast