Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bring from home or do FULL grocery shopping there?

Bring from home or do FULL grocery shopping there?

what are everyones preferences? Pricewise, convience? We usually bring a few things from our Local Aldi, cereals etc... But a few years back I asked around, and someone told me they even pack their meat on dry ice and bring it?

I recommend shopping on the island. The supermarkets have just about everything you could ask for. I know some people who bring frozen meats, vodka and coffee from home and I don't see the point. That's a lot of extra weight to carry.

thanks, yes thats kind of what I figured...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I recommend shopping on the island. The supermarkets have just about everything you could ask for. I know some people who bring frozen meats, vodka and coffee from home and I don't see the point. That's a lot of extra weight to carry.

Aruba since 1979
    we have brought frozen prepared food in a soft sided cooler in our suitcases over the years.
    there is much debate, but we have been lucky. we have had no bad experiences. our stuff stays rock solid frozen.

in past years, we have brought DD ground coffee, frozen pasta sauce, frozen broccoli rabe with sausage, frozen rotisserie chicken, frozen sliced turkey breast. we have also brought half and half (not frozen), frozen pita pockets, frozen brandon bagels.

in years past, the grocery stores used to be insufficiently stocked. the milk was horrific. we just got in the habit of bringing stuff. it is hard to break old habits.

normally we stay for 2 weeks. we do not like to eat out every night........we typically eat out every other night. leaving the other nights to eat in our timeshare.

i am uncertain if airlines allow dry ice in luggage.

my good buddy, eagle beach boy (RIP) used to bring way lots of stuff. frozen meats galore.

aruba customs does reserve the right to disallow meats, dairy and produce to be brought in......so be aware!

we have had good luck and over the last few years have brought less and less.
    but, DD ground coffee will always be in our luggage
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaymat View Post
    what are everyones preferences? Pricewise, convience? We usually bring a few things from our Local Aldi, cereals etc... But a few years back I asked around, and someone told me they even pack their meat on dry ice and bring it?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 07-14-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ...but, DD ground coffee will always be in our luggage
    Ours too. We must have that steaming cup the first morning. With cream and sugar please.

yea..... what are we going to do about their milk??? LOL

Aruba since 1979
    we have had no milk issues for a few years now.
    the supermarkets get their USA milk deliveries a few times a week!
    Borden and MacArthur

If concerned about it...bring a couple of Parmalat in your luggage.
    cushion well in luggage.
    it is ultra pasteurized, unrefrigerated and delicious.
    (you do have to refrigerate it before drinking and once opened.............the 1% is creamy like whole milk)
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaymat View Post
    yea..... what are we going to do about their milk??? LOL

thanks Lisa, yes I will bring some pre made meals like my own grave for macaroni, and meatballs..... Id rather cook here and just heat there .Roterisee chicken HUH?

Many of the grocery items come from the USA. Milk, creams, eggs. Packaged meats such as sausages, bacon etc also. Not sure where fresh meat and fish come from. We've had good meals using them. There is a combination of European and US canned and dry goods. If you can't find something, it's probably a specialty item.

Cheeses are predominantly Dutch (no surprise).

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I just bring coffee because we get there sunday afternoons and the supermarket is closed so I need my coffee first thing. I also bring packets of sugar for the time we're there (get at Costco) and just a thing of bagels for that first morning breakfast until I get to the supermarket. outside of that, we buy at ling's.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast