Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bring from home or do FULL grocery shopping there?

Aruba since 1979
    My husband just yelled out to me that beer is a lot more expensive in aruba than here in USA. Hope that some beer buyers chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by domandcassie View Post
    That doesn't seem to bad. We were in Australia and beer was almost triple for a case. I can handle 10-25% increase. Thanks

I don't look at prices at the market. What's the point? You're there on vacation and you're buying things you will need while you're there. I save it all up for one big wince when I see the total at checkout.

If the cost of beer was double I still wouldn't pack a case in my luggage. I have a garment bag and wife has a medium size soft side suitcase. We don't have room for a lot of food.

Carrying meats in your luggage is very risky. If your flight is delayed or cancelled you will have one smelly suitcase when it finally arrives at your hotel/timeshare.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    andrea, paul is right. beer is more expensive AND the bottles are smaller so its like a double whammy.

But it's beer, one of the major food groups. I wouldn't lug a case of beer in my suitcase, and I don't mind paying the price on the island. I think a case of Balashi runs about 28 USD at Lings. Heck, I paid $21.00 for a six pack of Coors Light at the mini mart in the Surf Club once (that's only $3.50 a beer, much cheaper than the bars).

I don't drink a lot of beer in Aruba because I was only able to find my brand one year. I make do very nicely with Tanqueray and tonic and an occasional coconut rum drink.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree, its more money but you are on vacation. and who would want to lug beer. it is what it is. I try to bring with me as little as possible.

Angela, I don't know why, but I envisioned a whole rotisserie chicken in your bag, not cut up. I was thinking, so they get there and here's this frozen chicken the size of a bowling ball in their luggage.

I plan on bringing a few boxes of Weight Watchers chips with me, so i dont pig out on pringles every afternoon after the beach like i usually do. I;ve been on WW for 6 months and am on maintenance now, concerned about controlling myself there. Breakfast will be a special challenge. I'm so used to having egg whites each morning with some fat free cheese. But i cant get fat free in the hotel, or even fat free yogurt (Marriott), and sometime sthey run out of boiled eggs. No way i am going to the hotel restuarant for breakfast every morning. Waste of time, and money. I'm in the hotel, not the time share, so it will be a challenge. Thinking maybe i go to superfoods the first day, when i arrive.

I generally bring quite a bit of food with me. Have never once had an issue with anything defrosting. Even last year when we had a planned stop in Miami and an emergency stop in NC. Plus it was always nice to have the big soft-sided cooler to bring down to the beach, on our "driving around the island" excursions and when moving from one room to another. Of course that was in the old Continental days when each international passenger got their first bag free. We would typically back one suitcase with meat, snacks, cereals, lunch meat & sliced cheese, coffee. This year we are flying United with no free luggage. Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast