Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bring from home or do FULL grocery shopping there?

Someone recently posted on another Aruba forum that Jet Blue was no longer permitting meat to be carried on OR packed in checked luggage. Google
    no meat on jet blue "aruba"

Aruba since 1979
    how would JB know?
    once gone thru TSA, the airline attendants at the gate do not check carry ons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Someone recently posted on another Aruba forum that Jet Blue was no longer permitting meat to be carried on OR packed in checked luggage. Google
    no meat on jet blue "aruba"

Aruba since 1979
    from JB website re:Meat
    Items that JetBlue Does Not Hold Liability for
    The following items are accepted for transportation at your own risk. JetBlue will not be liable for damage, loss or spoilage of these items.
    You may choose to carry the item(s) with you if they meet the requirements for carry-on baggage. Essential medication or currency should always travel with you and should never be checked.
    Fragile or unsuitably packaged items (such as antiques, art, bottles, cameras [video, still, projectors], ceramic, computer equipment, glass, hockey sticks, liquids (Alcohol Guidelines), luggage totes, mirrors, strollers and other items subject to break in transit, musical instruments, precision tools, radios, small appliances, sound reproduction equipment, televisions or trophies)
    Irreplaceable or essential items (such as antiques, artifacts, car keys, house or other keys, currency, checks, negotiable papers, securities, essential medication, heirlooms, collectible items, irreplaceable business documents, jewelry, precious stones or metals including silverware, natural fur products, optics, contact lenses, paintings/works of art)
    Perishable items (such as fish, meat or any perishable food item, flowers or plants)

Wouldn't the extra luggage fee offset any savings you would get from bringing your own food?

I can understanding bringing supplies and perhaps certain things you can't get in Aruba but, for me, being on vacation is eating foods you can't get at home. I enjoy the Dutch and other foods not available in the US.

The things I bring along on a trip are medications(antibiotics for food poisoning)/over the counter remedies like Pepto Bismol, Advil, bandaids etc. Basically things that you would pay a lot more in Aruba.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-28-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    some airlines do not have extra fees for checked luggage

what works for me, might not work for you and vice versa

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    Wouldn't the extra luggage fee offset any savings you would get from bringing your own food?

I can understanding bringing supplies and perhaps certain things you can't get in Aruba but, for me, being on vacation is eating foods you can't get at home. I enjoy the Dutch and other foods not available in the US.

The things I bring along on a trip are medications(antibiotics for food poisoning)/over the counter remedies like Pepto Bismol, Advil, bandaids etc. Basically things that you would pay a lot more in Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post

Not for me, personally. It has a few benefits:
    1. Having food I know my picky eaters will eat
    2. Having food in the timeshare for lunches allows me to afford dinners out
    3. Having a cooler for the pool/beach/day trips is very helpful and more environmentally friendly than purchasing a Styrofoam one at the food stores
    4. Having a full cooler on the way leaves some open space in the suitcase for the new shirts/souvenirs/duty free items we bring home

Just a few points off the top of my head
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    some airlines do not have extra fees for checked luggage
    Most airlines allow you one checked luggage included to the Caribbean. If you have the room in your luggage then I guess go for it. It can cost you $50 for an additional checked luggage. They are charging for everything nowadays. You even pay for pillows and blankets on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Not for me, personally. It has a few benefits:
    1. Having food I know my picky eaters will eat
    Say no more. If it's stuff you can't in Aruba, then I understand totally. I'm just questioning the cost effectiveness of it when it's stuff you can buy in Aruba.(for a little more $)

My wife and I just arrived yesterday with four stuffed suitcases of household goods, a few power tools, an espresso machine, memory foam bed toppers, steaks and shrimp, etc. Since we get 4 suitcases free with United, it seems we always find something to stuff inside of the bags even though we have all that we need in our home in Aruba. On the return trip back to the States, we only have one carry on and one luggage that holds the three empty duffle bags. It seems this process continues on each trip until we eventually run out of storage space...

I think having small(ish) children has a lot to do with it for me.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast