Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Alcohol

Hi Cindyo,
    great point. I think we tend to forget our weight limit to our checked bags. Wine and Beer tend to weigh down our bags. Where is Lings in comparision to the Tam?

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    The ( wines (Chilean wines great) on the island are avail in grocery stores, they are good and cheap. Why bring them with you...50 lbs per piece of luggage gets heavy fast.
    First trip to Aruba down; many more to come

Lisa

Where is Lings in comparision to the Tam?
    Go to the south end of the resort and the markets are all catercorner to the Tamarijn. Lings is behind the markets on the main road.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5309055&lon=-70.0527978&z=17&l=0&m=b

When at the Tamarijn we buy Amstel Bright and Balashi (mostly to bring home, though will drink some Brights since you cannot get them at the Tam) and Aruba Aloe products. The A.A. products are cheaper than the sundries shop and a better selection.

thanks so much for this information
    First trip to Aruba down; many more to come

Lisa

Bringing alcohol into Aruba

My wife and I will be heading to Aruba in 7 days staying at the Bucuti. I've been reading the posts about bring in duty free 1 liter of alcohol per person. My question is: I was planning on bringing my own bottle(s) (purchased at local store) and random airplane bottles packed in check in and carry on? Is this okay, or will it be taken at customs when I arrive in Aruba? If it's not taken, will I have to declare or pay duties on the items I bring in?

Sorry for the question, I was just confused since many people indicated they were buying at the Duty Free shops. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by kidkaos View Post
    I was planning on bringing my own bottle(s) (purchased at local store) and random airplane bottles packed in check in
    Pack it in your luggage and hope you are not stopped at Aruban customs.
    If you are you can claim it and pay the duty, with the exception of anything you may have purchased at either your home airport or the airport in Aruba duty free.

carry on?
    If you are flying from the U.S., you cannot take any liquids in your carry on unless they are purchased duty free "inside" TSA security, with the exception of the rules below-

3-1-1 for carry-ons "
    = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure."

If it's not taken, will I have to declare or pay duties on the items I bring in?
    If you are over your duty free limit you will be required to pay the duty on the overage. See below.

Additional info

DUTY FREE @ Queen Beatrix ARRIVALS

customs

Customs Rules Import regulations::

"Free import by non-residents older than 15 years (residents may import half the duty free quantities). If more is imported the whole quantity is dutiable:
    1. 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars;
    2. 1 litre of distilled beverages or 2.25 litres of wine or 3 litres beer;
    3. gift articles up to a value of AWG 100.-. "

Hmmmm, so are you saying that as long as i'm under the limit I won't have to pay duty's on the alcohol (if it's found)? Or regardless if it's not purchased from a duty free shop i'll have to pay a duty on it?

I've been to Aruba about 60 times andn't know there was a limit until i started reading
    the bb.In the fall i go for 4wks.and bring about 12 bottles (not duty free)cant get what i
    drink in Aruba (dekuyper peppermint schnapps).Also bring 8 cartons of cigs.
    Even though i now know the rules on alc. i'm still going to bring my 12 bottles.

Aruba since 1979
    you have had lady luck on your side as far as getting all of that thru aruba customs.

Quote Originally Posted by elainemac345 View Post
    I've been to Aruba about 60 times andn't know there was a limit until i started reading
    the bb.In the fall i go for 4wks.and bring about 12 bottles (not duty free)cant get what i
    drink in Aruba (dekuyper peppermint schnapps).Also bring 8 cartons of cigs.
    Even though i now know the rules on alc. i'm still going to bring my 12 bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by kidkaos View Post
    Hmmmm, so are you saying that as long as i'm under the limit I won't have to pay duty's on the alcohol (if it's found)?
    I think the confusion coming in here is customs rules vs. duty paid, or duty not paid (that is duty free).

A "Duty" is a tax paid on imported items.

Purchasing items DUTY FREE, means that you are NOT paying the duty TAX on the item. It does not allow you to bring additional quantities of the item(s) into the country.

Customs rules, see below, tell you how MUCH you can import (bring into the country). This will be whether they are purchased duty free, say at the airport, or purchased at your local liquor store at home and packed in your suitcase.

Customs Rules Import regulations::

"Free import by non-residents older than 15 years (residents may import half the duty free quantities). If more is imported the whole quantity is dutiable:
    1. 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars;
    2. 1 litre of distilled beverages or 2.25 litres of wine or 3 litres beer;
    3. gift articles up to a value of AWG 100.-. "

I ordered flasks at www.rumrunnerflasks.com. Not only do they take away the weight of the bottle, you can sneak a lot more in to your luggage. We brought about 4 bottles of vodka, 1 bottle of run , 1 tequilla and 1 grand manier. We saved a ton of money and really enjoyed making frozen drinks (go to Lings and get the Island Oasis in the freezer section) and sharing them around with pool with wonderful people we met at out hotel. I found this suggestion somewhere on this forum. I highly recommend checking them out. They are great.
    Next Aruba trip in

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast