Aruba Beach
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By robin
  • 1 Post By annf

Thread: Buying a car on the island

Buying a car on the island

Hello,

I wanted to reach out and see if I could get some help with buying a car here on the island. My wife and I have been looking and have had trouble along the way.

We do not have insurance (yet) nor a Tax ID either. New or used car and looking to buy it from one of the dealership if it make the process easier.

Thank you.
    Garrett

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to your first posting on the aruba.com community forum.

if you start with a car dealership I am sure that they can point you in the right direction.

what kind of trouble are you having?

I am pretty sure you need a tax ID to buy a car. We got our ID when we bought our condo. In December, we were there for a week and went to both the Ford and Honda dealerships. We got a great deal on a 2017 Honda Fit (closeout deal). We gave them deposit and then wired the money to them once we were home. When we went back in January, we were able to pick up the car. The salesperson helped us to get the insurance and we had to pay for the insurance once we got back to Aruba before we could pick up the car. It all took sometime, but it wasn't a hard process. BTW, they really don't negotiate on cars in Aruba like they do in the US. The price you see is the price you pay.

Thank You,

We will go to the deanship today. I have an Tax ID (Persoonsnummer), but we are not register. We are still looking at houses so currently renting.

I was not able to important my car, even with a TAX ID the company said I had to be register on the island, so I am a bit confused on being able to get a TAX ID if i cannot use it, if there are correct. This was the trouble I was speaking of.

So we are looking at our options.

It is very expensive to import your car. We thought about bringing my Honda Pilot SUV to the island and buying a new one for home. It would have cost about $2000 to ship PLUS, I would have to pay duty on it in Aruba. The duty would be based on what the Aruban officials value the car at, not what it is worth in the US, ie Blue Book value. It was less expensive to buy a car in Aruba.

I don't understand why you could not use your personsnumber, which is your tax id. Maybe someone had the wrong information. Cars do have to be registered in Aruba. Talk to the dealer.

Welcome to the posting side Garrett! I hope the car situation works out for you. Maybe try a different dealership or salesperson to see if the information you got was correct?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Your Persoonsnummer is separate from being registered. The number allows you to purchase a car and get license plates, insurance. If you buy a home that number will also be on your annual property tax form. To 'register' you need to apply to Dimas, complete the requirements and get approval for Residency. You only need to do that if you plan to spend more than 6 months of the year on the island. The initial acceptance for residency use to allow you to bring in one used car (registered in the USA in your name), tax free. Not sure if that is still the case.

Aruba since 1979
    nice to see you back Ann F
    Quote Originally Posted by annf View Post
    Your Persoonsnummer is separate from being registered. The number allows you to purchase a car and get license plates, insurance. If you buy a home that number will also be on your annual property tax form. To 'register' you need to apply to Dimas, complete the requirements and get approval for Residency. You only need to do that if you plan to spend more than 6 months of the year on the island. The initial acceptance for residency use to allow you to bring in one used car (registered in the USA in your name), tax free. Not sure if that is still the case.

I appreciate all of the feed back. This is all very helpful. He process has been a long an slow one but my wife and I are trying to do everything correct. And chose to raise our daughter here who was born here too.

It seems maybe a used car is more affordable, I have been going to the different dealships.