Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "Cold charge" in supermarket, a new trend?

In most grocery stores near me (in PA) you can buy a 2 liter of coke for less than a 20 ounce bottle that's in the cooler. Charging a quarter more for cold beverages of the same size doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me.

I have (willingly) been paying a little extra for cold drinks in Aruba since I started going there (2003)

There was always the option of buying the same drinks non-cooled for the regular price, I just found it nicer that they came cold. I was always informed about the price difference prior to paying.

What is new to me is that they specify it on your receipt. The concept is old.

I've always noticed that Ling's has refrigerated beer in the liquor section of the store but has a much larger selection in the next aisle where it is not refrigerated. I never checked the prices to see if there is a difference but charging a bit more for the cold stuff seems to make sense.
    Last edited by jeffnev; 07-30-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    In most grocery stores near me (in PA) you can buy a 2 liter of coke for less than a 20 ounce bottle that's in the cooler. Charging a quarter more for cold beverages of the same size doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me.
    It is common here in Georgia as well. It has been like that for years.

I am with danadog56, buy it warm and ice it down as quick as possible if you want to save the money.

Trick for cooling down...Add salt to your ice.It will cool it down faster...Try it it works.

I have paid "cold charge" for a case of beer at Lings, but actually it was worth it.

Aruba since 1979
    here at our local PUBLIX the 20 oz cold in the refrigerated chests near the check outs are
    priced higher than the 2 liter bottles of soda in the soda aisle.

agree with the others........buy warm and then put on ice.

Cold charge at Lings too..? So the concept isn't unusual..?

The thing is, at Kong Fui we weren't informed about the cold charge, that is what bothered me. 'Cold charge"... learned something new this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12