Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cost of groceries living in the Island?

Cost of groceries living in the Island?

Hello. I'm applying for a job in the island. There's many numbers I'd like to crunch, and he price of food or groceries is one of them.

I've read a couple of online sites (Ling and Groceriestogo), but I have read their prices are high for Aruba. And the prices I've seen are at least three times as much as the same stuff in Europe.

I understand there's cheaper places to get groceries. I saw a thread, but it was from 2009. If I shop around for prices: How much should I expect to pay for, say, milk, rice, bread (pullman/sandwich), legumes, soap, shampoo, deodorant, beverages, etc.?

BTW: Is it true that Coke Zero does not exist in Aruba? I haven't seen it anywhere in the listings or catalogs.

Is tap water good to drink, or should I include bottled water in my budget as well?

Thank you.

Tap water is amazing in Aruba! I find all the groceries at the touristy stores (Ling's & Superfood) to be quite comparable to the US.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    what i have found is that prices are approx 20-30% higher than here in my area (Tampa bay USA) You are in Spain?
    i have no idea of prices in spain groceries.

Ling grocery and SuperFood are the largest stores with the most variety and competitive pricing.
    There are smaller grocery stores, some stocked well, some poorly.
    I have used those smaller stores on holidays or when the large stores are closed.

i would think that a "fair number", ( but not knowing your needs etc) that a weekly amount of $225 would be a number that an average family of 4 might spend.
    chicken to milk to toilet paper to produce.

i have no idea about coke zero. there is regular diet coke.

as jacki says, no to bottled water.

Quote Originally Posted by mipial View Post
    Hello. I'm applying for a job in the island. There's many numbers I'd like to crunch, and he price of food or groceries is one of them.

I've read a couple of online sites (Ling and Groceriestogo), but I have read their prices are high for Aruba. And the prices I've seen are at least three times as much as the same stuff in Europe.

I understand there's cheaper places to get groceries. I saw a thread, but it was from 2009. If I shop around for prices: How much should I expect to pay for, say, milk, rice, bread (pullman/sandwich), legumes, soap, shampoo, deodorant, beverages, etc.?

BTW: Is it true that Coke Zero does not exist in Aruba? I haven't seen it anywhere in the listings or catalogs.

Is tap water good to drink, or should I include bottled water in my budget as well?

Thank you.

Look at Save-A-Lot - their prices are cheaper than Ling's and Superfood BUT the quality is less and the name brands aren't there... lots of knock offs - they have some pricing on the website:

http://www.save-a-lot-aruba.com/

Aruba imports EVERYTHING so you're going to pay a premium. European wines are more expensive relative to South American and American (Californian).

As Andrea indicated above, there are smaller grocers on the island but you'll pay even more. We only use them if we desperate and the big stores are closed.

Interesting little fact is that much of the soda is bottled on the island at the Balashi factory using their amazingly pure clean water.

According to their website they do bottle Coke Zero:
    Under the umbrella of Coca Cola, which we have been bottling locally since 1948, Tropical Bottling Company includes 9 world leading brands, among which are Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Sprite Zero and the non-carbonated ones Powerade, Vitamin Water, Minute Maid, Jugos del Valle and Fuze Tea.
    In Aruba, we are the leading provider of carbonated beverages and juices. Tropical Bottling Company is a strong believer in those same values the Coca Cola Company operates by and endorses any initiative supporting those causes.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

We find that the items we need are priced comparably to where we live in Upstate NY, if you purchase the "local" brands. We find name brand products are priced as Andrea stated. Never purchase bottled water, yet we see others buying it by the case and don't understand the reasoning behind it.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    We find that the items we need are priced comparably to where we live in Upstate NY, if you purchase the "local" brands. We find name brand products are priced as Andrea stated. Never purchase bottled water, yet we see others buying it by the case and don't understand the reasoning behind it.
    We buy 4 bottles of water, freeze them and bring 2 everyday in the bottom of the cooler, it keeps the ice longer and we drink them and refill them with tap water. Repeat every day and rotate. Got this down to a science.

As for groceries, we get a lot of the Jumbo brands, they carry them at Superfoods, made in St Maarten and cheap. A large bag of potato chips cost a buck and a half, the American brands are close to 4 bucks.
    Last edited by LeaveTheKidsWithMom; 04-06-2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Lings has free coffee

Also consider getting a membership to Price-Smart. It's about $35 a year, but they have pretty good prices on things you might buy in bulk and booze. I buy a membership every year when we visit and get the cost back by buying booze and a few other items.

If you purchase alcohol or are staying on the island long enough Price Smart is a great option. We also bought a few things there to furnish our condo, small appliances, etc., and we easily covered the annual membership fee in savings.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Wow! Thanks for all the answers. I didn't get an alert from the system.

We spend around 500 euro a month (525 US dollars) in supermarkets, with homemade food almost daily and fruit every day.
    1 liter of milk (33oz?) ranges from 1 euro (US$ 1.05) if branded to 0.55 euro (US$0,6) no-name brand.
    1kg onions (2lb) US$ 1,20. 1kg golden apples, US$1,3. 1kg grany smith apples, US$2,8. 1kg bananas $1,8. 1gk rice $0,7.(That's Carrefour online, I can get them cheaper elsewhere).

I've looked into the PriceSmart webpage, but it doesn't show supermarket items. The variety of items looks good, though. It had a PDF catalogue, but I can't tell if it was all-inclusive for the rest of countries where they make business.
    The save-a-lot webpage displayed only the price of 6 items and those were about 20% more expensive than here, but that's not representative because those were the ones on sale.

I make my estimates spending twice as much as here.

A very important question:
    Here in Europe, VAT/Sales tax is already built into the price. I know it's not the same in the US. Do prices in Aruba include sales tax?

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast