Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do Arubians like to haggle?

National Archeological Museum, Akok Wilderness,

Do Arubians like to haggle?

Not sure this is the right place to post this but do Arubian business people
    like to haggle when it comes to pricing?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    We have been able to "haggle" over jewelry prices...nothing else really

As Cindy said, really only jewelry. It is not part of their culture like other parts of the world.

I have read different accounts on haggling at the weekend flea market, some say yes, some say no.

For flea market prices I would be more worried about offending the vendor asking them to come down on a specified price if it is not common practice, but that is just me. It never hurts to ask I suppose .

Come back and let us know how you make out.

Aruba since 1979
    as others have said, yes to jewelry.

but, unlike mexico or dominican republic or some other place where haggling is not only appropriate but expected.......most places do not haggle and it "could" be insulting to them.

the craft/flea mkt folks come to some of the resorts and set up table to sell their wares. my husband was eyeing some cigars and began to haggle with the proprietor. the proprietor became insulted and asked my husband to move along. never again will he haggle......it was embarrassing to him and the cigar man.

Quote Originally Posted by ourhistory153 View Post
    Not sure this is the right place to post this but do Arubian business people
    like to haggle when it comes to pricing?

Banned
    I was in this store...kind of a junky place...out in Paradera somewhere. I really wanted this beach chair. After waiting a few minutes until the sales guy finished blessing his food w/incense he told me the price of $60. I knew it wasn't worth that much so I asked for room to negotiate. He said he could sell it to me for $58! WHOA...what a cost savings. I asked for $50, and we settled at $55. It wasn't much of a savings, but it is a kick-ass chair!

We often negotiate a small discount from open air vendors. Some at the weekend flea market near town and with a small group of vendors that sets up at our timeshare twice a week. I don't think any vendor is insulted by your asking for a better price as long as you're not a jerk about it.

National Archeological Museum, Akok Wilderness,
    Then I will do my silent haggle. "Nice item Sir but it is outside my budget but
    we will sure to come back, if we feel we can fit it in." if a seller sees a potential
    buyer walking away then they may say something. Of course if this is a sellers
    market then they may not.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    We often negotiate a small discount from open air vendors. Some at the weekend flea market near town and with a small group of vendors that sets up at our timeshare twice a week. I don't think any vendor is insulted by your asking for a better price as long as you're not a jerk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ourhistory153 View Post
    Then I will do my silent haggle. "Nice item Sir but it is outside my budget but
    we will sure to come back, if we feel we can fit it in." if a seller sees a potential
    buyer walking away then they may say something. Of course if this is a sellers
    market then they may not.

Sounds good as long s you don't expect a half price deal. You might get 20% off.

It's seldom a seller's market unless you're talking about a specialty high cost item. Run of the mill souvenirs are readily available in quantity.

Yes, I haggle with the taxi drivers, the open markets, the souvenir shops, their used to it!!

Aruba since 1979
    respectfully, i disagree.
    the taxi drivers are mandated by Aruban law to follow set pricing.

click the link below for the mandated pricing.
    if you haggle and negotiate with a driver, it is breaking the law.
    reputable drivers will not haggle

NEW TAXI rates effective Sept 1 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lasalleboygmu View Post
    Yes, I haggle with the taxi drivers, the open markets, the souvenir shops, their used to it!!
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-17-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast