Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By charles

Thread: Do you shop in the new high end stores downtown?

Do you shop in the new high end stores downtown?

We frequently walk by these shops & rarely see anyone in them. I'm really not sure why they have pushed out the other stores in favor of these. I used to enjoy shopping in the old stores!!

Aruba since 1979
    i find it sad to see the empty/for lease stores of downtown.
    i too rarely see shoppers in those high end stores, except when the cruise ships are in......i do not know how they sell enough stuff to pay their rent and their clerks.

in days past, all those shops including the less pricey ones had plenty of customers....then again in those days many had more $$$ to spend.

hopefully we will see those days again.

I have a theory that US citizens sometimes take for granted availability of "high end" products.

Imo, these stores are very attractive to NON- US tourists, especially South Americans.

We go every year in Aug or Oct & there are many South Americans there at that time, but still not many in the shops. I do agree that any time I do see someone with a bag from those shops they are South American I believe.

Curios Creatures of habit

The tendency I see is that many visitors are 'curious' about the 'unusual' or 'different'. After all, it is what you pay big money to come to - right? Not always.

Many visitors will arrive, walk through the unusual and shop where they feel more comfortable - a "mall". And that is the beginnings of Inner-City Collapse.

Ant this age-old syndrome is apparently what is happening here.

e well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    I'm one of those travelers who likes to pick something unique to the place we're visiting, so I usually try to find the smaller shops, and avoid malls and the high-end stores!