Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: duty free liquor leaving Aruba

Dom

duty free liquor leaving Aruba

If you purchase liquor or cigarettes at the duty free shops at the Airport in Aruba, do not believe what the sales people in the shops tell you about how much you can bring into the US duty free. They told us we could take 3 liters of liquor per person and 3 boxes of cigarettes (4 cartons per box) per person. This is not true. We were stopped by the customs agent and told that each person could only bring in 1 liter of liquor and 1 carton of cigarettes. Luckilly for us, the customs agent we had to see did not charge us for the extra stuff we had. However, he also warned us that there is a new director about to take over, and the new person is rumored to be much more strict than the current person who is running the show.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    If you purchase liquor or cigarettes at the duty free shops at the Airport in Aruba, do not believe what the sales people in the shops tell you about how much you can bring into the US duty free. They told us we could take 3 liters of liquor per person and 3 boxes of cigarettes (4 cartons per box) per person. This is not true. We were stopped by the customs agent and told that each person could only bring in 1 liter of liquor and 1 carton of cigarettes. Luckilly for us, the customs agent we had to see did not charge us for the extra stuff we had. However, he also warned us that there is a new director about to take over, and the new person is rumored to be much more strict than the current person who is running the show.
    Thanks for the update. I would hope that the new director will inform the duty free stores not to oversell to customers.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Dom, Nothing like a bum sales pitch....thanks for the warning.

another duty free question

was planning on getting some liquor at the duty free here in the states to bring to aruba (dont know how much is allowed) but I am actually flying into Curacao and then getting a flight to Aruba......anyone know how that would work with customs? Is it just better to wait until i get there and forget possible complications?

thanks

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    With a stop over you can't buy liquor from you orig point. You can however buy liquor at your layover.

up until last year we were always bringin liquor onto the island because it is actually cheaper here, but last year we decided that the few $$ we saved wasn't worth the worry about breakage....we spent quit a few $$$ and this year I may have to re-think last years plans and bring some liquor in plastic bottles.......making slushies in our freezer for late night jacuzzi bathing is a must and it is amazing how fast liquor evaporates !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    it is amazing how fast liquor evaporates !!!

LOL LOL That happens to me too....
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

duty free liquor leaving Aruba

is there anything tricky about buying duty-free liquor on leaving Aruba?

I'll have a stopover in Atlanta on my way to Seattle, so do I need to buy the booze and then pack it into my checked bags? Or do they do a good enough job of packing it at the DF store?

Is the allowance coming in to the U.S. 1 liter per person?

I go to the DF store before the U.S. customs checkpoint, correct?

ok ONE more question ... is anything at Aruba DF a particularly good bargain?

I know, so many questions ... thanks for any responses to any or all of them.

Aruba since 1979
    the Baileys Irish Creme is a good deal at aruba duty free
    that is all i look at sorry.

correct you go to the duty free during your trek thru the aruba airport.....
    they wrap it sufficiently/appropriately.

i am uncertain of the allowance

dh and i always each buy a bottle of baileys

they do wrap it in bubblewrap and then bag it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    they do wrap it in bubblewrap and then bag it.
    Does it then have to go into your suitcase or can you hand carry on board?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast