Aruba Beach

Thread: Foreign Transaction Fees

Foreign Transaction Fees

My credit card company applies a 3% foreign transaction fee on credit card purchases made in some countries. Does anyone know if purchases made in Aruba apply to this fee? Wasn't sure if the purchases are made in US dollars or another currency?

I would think that is up to your CC company. I would just give them a call to see. Since you say some countries, I would assume that they make the decision which one. I personally pay with cash when I am there, just to be sure that I don't have any problems, and have a CC just in case.
    Decided to take down my timer!

All of my CCs charge the fee, call the 800 numbers and ask yours. You might also want to call them and let them know you're heading down. I've had mine locked a couple times.

Our credit card started this fee this year for Aruba. As stated above, call your CC to check & also let them know when you are in Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by Sande15 View Post
    My credit card company applies a 3% foreign transaction fee on credit card purchases made in some countries. Does anyone know if purchases made in Aruba apply to this fee? Wasn't sure if the purchases are made in US dollars or another currency?
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Banned
    Ditto - this was the first year that our CC company charged the foreign fee for our purchases. In all the years of traveling and charging down there, we've never been charged the fee. We called Chase when we received our statement - and were told that as of April 1, 2009 they started charging the foreign fee for Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    Ditto - this was the first year that our CC company charged the foreign fee for our purchases. In all the years of traveling and charging down there, we've never been charged the fee.
    Ditto for me as well!
    ~Amy~

30th trip to Aruba: April 2014
    16 days in Rome/Southern Italy: Aug. 2014
    NYC: Nov. 2014
    31st trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2014

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Aruba since 1979
    we have yet to incur the "foreign fee" as last time we were in aruba, the fees were not in place with our CITI master card.

funny thing though, we were in quebec city and montreal in june and put everything on the card while touring........meals, hotel etc

got the bill, saw the "foreign fee" and said gee they are charging :-(

dh called the CITI customer service dept and expressed his displeasure, and they "waived the fee"!
    we were shocked and surprised and although it was only about $17 it was still a nice gesture .

the credit cards and banks are really pushing folks' buttons with the extra fees and such.
    they do it becasue they can.

i have always been happy with citi.
    andrea