Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Grocery Prices

Grocery Prices

What's your take on grocery prices in Aruba relative to where you're from?

We shop at Lings, Superfood and Price Smart.

Relative to Toronto, the prices are pretty similar but Toronto is on the expensive side cost-of-living wise.

Booze is definitely cheaper in Price Smart even relative to Duty Free. I wrote about that in another thread.

Do you think Aruba is expensive from a grocery and liquor standpoint?

Aruba since 1979
    Good thread.

Here in the Tampa Bay area I think grocery prices at Publix far higher priced than in New England.
    That being said I'm guessing that the prices at lings and superfood are about 20% higher than here in Tampa Bay.

The liquor prices in the grocery stores in Aruba Seem to be very high .we like purchasing a liquor duty-free

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Good thread.

Here in the Tampa Bay area I think grocery prices at Publix far higher priced than in New England.
    That being said I'm guessing that the prices at lings and superfood are about 20% higher than here in Tampa Bay.

The liquor prices in the grocery stores in Aruba Seem to be very high .we like purchasing a liquor duty-free
    Re liquor: yes, I would expect that... US liquor isn't taxed anywhere near to the extent it is in Canada. The liquor prices in Aruba are still lower relative to what we'd pay up here - gotta fund that universal healthcare via Patron purchases!

As for groceries, we typically spend $250-300 CAD per week and that's about what our bill comes to in Aruba (foreign exchange aside) so I use that as the litmus test of relative cost of living.

[QUOTE=act1966;281445]Re liquor: yes, I would expect that... US liquor isn't taxed anywhere near to the extent it is in Canada. The liquor prices in Aruba are still lower relative to what we'd pay up here - gotta fund that universal healthcare via Patron purchases!
    QUOTE]

You haven't bought booze in Virginia. The State owns all of the liquor stores so there's no competition and it is taxed to the max. That being said, we still find the liquor prices to be a little higher at Ling's and Superfood than at home but certainly not prohibitive. Sure wish I could hit the liquor store at Portsmouth traffic circle before coming here... As for food, we bring a lot of what we have found to be higher cost items with us, but again we don't find the prices on most things unreasonable. One of these days we're going to buy a Price Smart membership. I think for the price we would save it in the cost of booze the first week.

Aruba since 1979
    I miss the NH state liquor stores. My son lives 8 miles from the Portsmouth circle

We have a price smart card and never used it

it expires on the 19 th.

I copied the post I did about Price Smart versus Lings and updated it with relative Canadian pricing. Prices are from the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO):

Patron Silver (750 ml)

Price Smart is AWG 54.95 ($31.40 USD)
    Lings is AWG 99.99 ($57.13 USD)
    **Interesting note - Duty Free at QB price is $43.00 USD
    CANADIAN (Ontario LCBO Liquor Store) PRICE: $79.95 CAD ($60.31 USD)

Cointreau (1 Litre)

Price Smart is AWG 51.95 ($29.69 USD)
    Lings is AWG 74.99 ($42.85 USD) - this is Lings regular price - they had it on sale yesterday for AWG 64.99
    CANADIAN (Ontario LCBO Liquor Store) PRICE: $39.95 CAD ($30.13 USD) THIS IS 750 ML... NOT AVAILABLE IN 1 LITER SIZE

Grey Goose (1 Litre)

Price Smart is AWG 67.95 ($38.83 USD)
    Lings is AWG 89.99 ($51.42 USD)
    CANADIAN (Ontario LCBO Liquor Store) PRICE: $75.95 CAD ($57.29 USD)

Moet and Chandon Brut (750 ml)

Price Smart is AWG 84.95 ($48.54 USD)
    Lings is AWG 109.99 ($62.85 USD)
    CANADIAN (Ontario LCBO Liquor Store) PRICE: $63.95 CAD ($48.24 USD)

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I bought groceries at Superfood and had the impression that the prices were similar, maybe slightly higher to where I live (Central Texas). I like high quality food.

Said that, the groceries I bought at the Superfood in Aruba were excellent! Loved the bakery there as well. Some of the fruits and vegetables come from Venezuela, ripened in the sun, very tasty and good.

I'm not into liquor. But bought some wine for dinner when visiting friends. Great quality wine to a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    What's your take on grocery prices in Aruba relative to where you're from?

We shop at Lings, Superfood and Price Smart.

Relative to Toronto, the prices are pretty similar but Toronto is on the expensive side cost-of-living wise.

Booze is definitely cheaper in Price Smart even relative to Duty Free. I wrote about that in another thread.

Do you think Aruba is expensive from a grocery and liquor standpoint?
    We shop at the same three places. We'll stop at Price Smart on our way out of the airport, grabbing the bulk items that we'll use during our stay and the booze/beer. We make more trips to Super Foods than Lings.

We live in Upstate NY and I would say that the food that we buy runs about 10-15% higher than what we pay at home. We don't purchase any extravagant booze, so wine and spirits run about the same or less. Beer on the other hand is quite a bit more expensive. I can understand everything being shipped in and all, but it seems like the beer is almost double the price. I wish that Balashi was considerably less, being home brewed, and that the light version was easier to come by.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

We shop at Ling's and Super Foods. The prices are higher than MA/NH but that's to be expected. That's one of the things, along with restaurant prices, that are understandable because it's a tourist location and everything is shipped/flown to the island.

We primarily buy drinks and snacks at the grocery store. Gatorade and Bud Light seem to be considerably higher than home, but not enough to stop us from buying our hangover cause and cure . I did some price checking between convenience stores around Palm Beach and Superfoods and even with a taxi ride, if you plan on buying ddrinks and snacks, it is worth a trip to the grocery store.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast