Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Questions

Grocery Questions

I've never bought groceries in Aruba before, so I have the following questions:

1. What's the best grocery store (that's near the low-rise area) as far as prices go?

2. What price should I expect to pay for groceries in Aruba? (milk, bread, fruit, etc.) (I'm used to $4 milk, $3 bread, $3 OJ)

3. Where should I buy my booze? (beer, wine, hard liquor)

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Buy all at Ling and Sons...booze, food. They also deliver. Its about 15-25% more than home..

I agree with Cindy,Ling And Sons is my choice.They have a very clean and modern store with a very good variety of beer and liquor.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Since you asked for the cheapest place to shop, Ling & Sons are definitely not the cheapest place, it is in fact probably the most expensive one.
    If you do not have a car, you will shop cheaper in the other supermarkets near the main road, such as Certified, Super Food and Kong Hing.
    If you do have a car, the smaller supermarkets on the inland road in Noord are cheaper and cheapest is Pricesmart at the airport, but they require you to get a $31 membership and normally you have to buy in bulk.
    Other than the price issue, Ling & Sons is definitely the nicest one and in most cases have the best selection.

Carsten

Aruba since 1979
    the milk from the usa is delivered to the large supermarkets late wednesday afternoon thru early friday

and cindy said prices are approx 15-25% higher than the usa

most of the groceries mark their prives in florins 1 florin is equal to usa 72 cents or thereabouts

the cheese dept at lings is exceptional

andrea

Response to Carsten

We will have a car, and I don't think we'll be buying in bulk since there will only be six of us. Do you have the names of the places in Noord that you would recommend?

I shop at some of the smaller stores that are known as the Chinese super markets. Its lots cheaper and has the same foods. My favorite one is in Ponton.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Smile Names

Good question, the one about the names. It seems like we all shop there without ever looking at the names. Also giving you the name will not make it much easier to find, so I will give you directions instead.

Almost all supermarkets in Aruba are run by Chinese owners and have Chinese names.

Since most tourists mainly are north of Oranjestad, let's focus on that area.
    From the outskirts of Oranjestad to Tierra del Sol is less than 5 miles and you have a car, so that whole area is easily accessible for you.

What I would suggest is that you take the road "inland" at the Texaco gas station (near the low rises). You then go inland for 1.5 miles and make a left in the roundabout at Tanki Leendert (there is a Pizza place there. Pappa John's I think) and you will then be going north towards Tierra del sol. That stretch is about 3.7 miles.
    All along that road you will see a ton of small supermarkets, so just pick any of them. Best bet it to choose one that have a lot of customers parking outside of it. If the locals shop there, something must be right .
    Most of them look quite shabby from the outside, but don't let that put you off. They have quite good selections and are way cheaper than the ones tourists normally go to. You can get all the items you asked for in them.

As a bonus you will see a lot of shops and other stuff that most tourist normally don't get to see.

Just follow the road past Tierra del Sol (golfclub) and it will take you to the coastal road at Malmok. If you go right there you will go to the lighthouse (about 1.4 miles) and left will take you to the hotels.
    You will be getting cheaper groceries and booze and have a nice trip as a bonus.

Have fun.

P.S. If you are adventurous, try the small food stands (snack bars) along the road. They will cook to order meals at very very cheap prices.
    A good way to get a taste of the true Aruba flavor.
    They don't look as streamlined as Subway, McDonalds by any means, but you get good food for a very good price.

Carsten
    Last edited by Schnauzerjoy; 03-10-2009 at 09:40 AM.

I love Super Foods. They have a great selection in American and Dutch foods at the most reasonable price, and their bakery is to die for. This year we will be arriving on Sunday when the three main (tourist) grocery stores are already closed for the day. Does anyone know if the smaller supermarkets where the locals buy are still open on Sunday afternoon? Or will I have to agree to paying $5.00+ for a bottle of Pepsi at the resort convenience store?

Wink Ling and sons

staying at the Playa Linda were is this grocery store from the hotel and can
    we take a cab or bus? Do they sell liquor also?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast