Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Store - help taking groceries to car

Grocery Store - help taking groceries to car

Hello.... I just arrived in Aruba for a work term and did my first shop for my apartment today. I shopped at Kong Hing. I happened to mention it was my fist time shopping on the island. The young man who helped me to the car with my groceries said 'If it is your first time shopping here you don't know that we don't get paid, that we only work for tips'. I did give him a tip but I really felt he was handing me a line. Does anyone know if this is true? I really have my doubts but want to know for the next time.

(I really didn't mind giving him a tip, I just hate feeling 'new'.)

Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    i do not know their tip/salary status but NO ONE ever helped my with my groceries at lings or hong king.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-25-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: well, liz answered it.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I know it is true that they don't get paid by the supermarket.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for clearing it up liz

Wow - interesting, although I agree with Andrea sounds like a hustle. I normally shop at Lings and Certified and they have always been very friendly. Of course, I normally tote my own groceries. On the other hand for the worker to have to make you feel obligated is not good business at all.
    Otherwise, hope you have a super vacation.

Thanks everyone - that is good to know. I usually won't have so many bags, but this was my first shop so stocking up.

Really enjoying Aruba so far and find this forum a wealth of info - you guys do a great job!

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    It upsets me to see school age children working at the markets during the school year when these kids are suppose to be in school.

Aruba since 1979
    i am going to duplicate LDTPT post and put it in culinary if folks want to continue discussion about HRC there and this thread can contiue about hong king and tipping the bag boys/girls.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    My husband read somewhere about the kids working in the grocery stores don't get paid and rely on tips.
    This year compared to two years ago we thought maybe that changed. Two years ago they were knocking each other over to bag items and carry them out. This year they were just standing in a huddle.

I always have someone offer to help me take my groceries to the car when I shop at Kong Hing or Certified. The first year or so (back in the '90's), I didn't tip until I heard that they only get paid in tips. So now I always make sure to tip them. But no one has ever asked me for a tip or acted like they expected one.

I agree with Liz though...don't like to see them working there during a school day when they should be in school.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast