Aruba Beach

Thread: Jewelry crafted from Djuco nuts?

The beach at the Divi AI; drinks at the Paddock and Madame Jannetes

Jewelry crafted from Djuco nuts?

I read a blurb on this site about the practice of polishing Djuco nuts that have washed ashore, and adorning them with gold filigree to be worn as jewelry. I was really curious to see some examples, but when I asked around the last time I was in Aruba, no one seem to know what a Djuco nut was. So, does anyone have any info on this practice?

I found the blurb at
    http://www.aruba.com/ExploreAruba/Cu...deinAruba.aspx

Apparently the nuts wash ashore from Venezuela. Did you look at the Flea Market? There are some vendors also at the Crafts Fair at the Divi and Tamarijn. Maybe one of them would sell them? You can phone the Divi or Tamarijn to find out what night the vendors are there.

Didn't get to the flea markets, but I did ask the vendors when they came to the Divi. They kind of looked at me as if I was nuts!

Hmm , maybe contact the Aruba Tourism Authority if no one else here supplies an answer.

Thanks, the Board of Tourism is a good idea.

If you're still interested, I can give you the name of a local artist who sells them. I bought mine last year ($10) from Sonya Flemminga. She is a local artist, her son is also and her husband is a photographer. He has a stand along the waterfront downtown. He also sells his wife's water color prints and miniature watercolors as magnets. I bought mine at a vendors market at Lacabana. It was not embellished, but is a simple one consisting of one bean strung on an adjustable leather strand. It also came with a card explaining the "story".
    crosby

Aruba since 1979
    welcome back crosby
    long time (dec2009? since we heard from you ? )

Quote Originally Posted by crosby View Post
    If you're still interested, I can give you the name of a local artist who sells them. I bought mine last year ($10) from Sonya Flemminga. She is a local artist, her son is also and her husband is a photographer. He has a stand along the waterfront downtown. He also sells his wife's water color prints and miniature watercolors as magnets. I bought mine at a vendors market at Lacabana. It was not embellished, but is a simple one consisting of one bean strung on an adjustable leather strand. It also came with a card explaining the "story".
    crosby