Aruba Beach

Thread: KONG FUI supermarket

Aruba since 1979

KONG FUI supermarket

Be aware that the new supermarket KONG FUI is not doing well on keeping debit transactions safe.

i got a notification from my bank that the account could have been compromised.

i made a purchase there of $12 and change on the 14th and just checked my online acct. the purchase of $12 went thru correctly and ANOTHER today of $40 debit and then a $40 credit.
    we were NOT in there today.

i called the bank fraud dept and put a STOP on that card.
    as of now my balance is correct.

aquaman and his wife had a similar issue, brought it to my attention today and that is why i checked my account.

be careful with debit cards.
    from now on i will only use it in an ATM machine at a bank/kiosk.

I posted this in another thread and am reposting here:

Before traveling with an ATM card, please check with your bank's policies regarding lost and stolen cards. Rules and policies are not necessarily the same as they are with credit cards where you are normally liable for only the first $50 in charges.

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/debitcards1.htm
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.pdf

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/block/2005-05-09-debit-cards_x.htm Thieves love debit cards, so keep them safe here's how
    This is a very long article but spells out in detail the risks of using a debit card.

"Mari Frank, an attorney who represents victims of identity theft, doesn't use debit cards. She uses a credit card for all non-cash purchases. She says she's heard too many horror stories from debit card holders whose checks bounced while the bank conducted a fraud investigation. "The resolution of the problem is so much harder with a debit card."

Credit cards are widely accepted all over the island.
    Imo, I would use my credit card and have my liability limited vs. using a debit card and allowing dishonest people have access to my entire checking account.

We were there in November to check it out, but used cash. Glad we did now....Must say however they have a cool assortment of dutch specialty items...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Credit cards are widely accepted all over the island. Imo, I would use my credit card and have my liability limited vs. using a debit card and allowing dishonest people have access to my entire checking account.
    Ditto! We never use our debit card when we travel anywhere. Too much risk for that money to vanish quickly. Credit cards are much safer as far as the limited liability.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018