Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jacki
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By robin

Thread: Ling & Sons Supermarket for Sale

Ling & Sons Supermarket for Sale

From Angelo's Newsletter http://www.vacationsbyaruba.com/top-...ld-know-about/ :

Ling & Sons Supermarket For Sale

Interisland businessman (Gerard Van Den Tweel) is selling his supermarkets in Aruba (Ling & Sons), Bonaire & Curacao.
    Whos buying the family business?
    According to the owner, hes selling his Caribbean supermarkets to a Jamaican businessman (Gassan Azan).
    Despite selling the supermarket, Gerard will still be involved over the next years in management and operations.
    Nothing much will change for the employees working at Ling & Sons, or the brand name products.
    Ling & sons is the most popular supermarkt for tourist and locals next to Superfood.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

a little off subject, but just returned from Aruba and found out that Ling and Sons was just bought by a Jamaican company. Will be interesting to see what or if they change what they carry. Over the past few years I have noticed a big change in the brands they carry, as well as a bunch of things that they no longer carry. From my understanding they are supposed to stay the same, but I will believe it when I see it....in November. Hopefully the prices will stay the same as well since Super Foods is much more costly that Lings....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    a little off subject, but just returned from Aruba and found out that Ling and Sons was just bought by a Jamaican company. Will be interesting to see what or if they change what they carry. Over the past few years I have noticed a big change in the brands they carry, as well as a bunch of things that they no longer carry. From my understanding they are supposed to stay the same, but I will believe it when I see it....in November. Hopefully the prices will stay the same as well since Super Foods is much more costly that Lings....
    I believe it happened recently

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...PrinterVersion

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Over the past few years I have noticed a big change in the brands they carry, as well as a bunch of things that they no longer carry. From my understanding they are supposed to stay the same, but I will believe it when I see it....in November. Hopefully the prices will stay the same as well since Super Foods is much more costly that Lings....
    I *think* many of those changes happened when the Ling family sold the business.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    in our last 2 trips i noticed a bit of a downturn in Lings.
    the lighting sometimes felt a bit dark and sometimes the aisles impassable due to displays and personnel.
    i like lings and hope that if there are changes, the changes will be for the better.

superfood's parking lot brings on my road rage and also too the "stuff" blocking the aisles gets frustrating.
    i find the lings and superfood pricing pretty similar.

if i have a preference it is lings due to the parking.

i wish the new owners well!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I *think* many of those changes happened when the Ling family sold the business.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Superfoods parking lot is dangerous. whoever designed it was not too bright. we usually park right on the street cause its easier.

I too think the prices are comparable. We like Superfood for the great selection Dutch items, which are very reasonably priced. Parking is a disaster, but we come down the back street past Buccaneer, and in the back way and park on the side. We've stopped doing the kamikaze trip down Sasaki.

I like Super Foods better because they have a better selection and the store is brighter. I think Lings has a better layout for their produce and better parking.